Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cracked 700r4 updated!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RockBurb, Sep 11, 2002.

1. RockBurb

RockBurb 1/2 ton status

Ok, so I was looking through where my four wheel drive shift is supposed to be today, and I noticed that where the 700r4 bolts into the 208 half of the adapter is cracked off. Is there anything I can do??? I had this professionaly rebuilt about 8000 miles ago. I really dont want to have to get a new tranny. Thanks!

2. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: Cracked 700r4

Did you get a warranty on the tranny? If so I would take it back and show em. If they ask you if you took it off road just say No. I would clean it up before you take it in there too!!

3. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Get a new adaptor and make sure you have all factory support rods inplace- the ones that go from the back of the engine to the transfer case - these vary from year to year and between engine/trany/transfer case combo.

4. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school

If you have any kind of warranty, try to see if its covered... and wash it like was already mentioned. Could this damage possibly have been caused by the shop who changed your tranny out over tightening the bolts that hold the tranny and transfercases to the adapter?

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Is it the aluminum tranny case that is cracked or the steel adapter between the T-case and tranny?

6. RockBurb

RockBurb 1/2 ton status

The truck is 15 miles from here, but from my recollection there is no adaptor between the 700r4 and the tcase. All of the support rods are in. I am in the process of changing my suburban into a K5 and pulled the engine and tranny and put them in the K5. It wasnt cracked when I pulled it. When I hooked up the driveline I forgot to tighten down the ujoint straps and the ujoint came loose and I think the jolt may have been what did this. Is there anyway to fix this?

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The ones that I've seen have an adapter that bolts to the transmission, then the t-case bolts to the adapter. If just the adapter broke, then it should be pretty easy to replace. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

8. RockBurb

RockBurb 1/2 ton status

<crossing fingers>