Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cracked AA Bellhousing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rcamacho, Jan 18, 2007.

1. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

The AA bellhousing cracked behind my BBC and NV4500. Anyone out there had success welding up the thick style cast aluminum bells or should I just spring for a new $345 unit?

BTW, why the heck does no one make a steel scattershield for chevy to NV4500?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've done some welding on cast aluminum and it is a real PITA. Depending on the shape, thickness and where the ribbing is (if any) determines whether or not the weld will hold or just spider web crack even worse. The cast aluminum is rigid and doesn't tolerate the rapid expansion and contraction of the welding very well.

Rene

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Stop-drill the crack(s) and then 'V' it deep. Then heat the whole thing up to almost too hot to touch while BOLTED to a spare block. SS wire brush (NOT carbon steel!) it clean & run a root pass. re pre-heat. Clean. Run a filler pass, re pre-heat, clean, etc. until done.
    Leave it bolted to the block until cool.

4. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. I was able to strike a deal with AA and have a new housing on order. If anyone is interested in the old housing PM me - I'll have no use for it.

5. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

Hijack Alert !!

anyone ever had any sucess at welding up the output shaft end of a T-400 case where the transfer case adaptor bolts on ?

I have a K case T-400 that has 1 small crack on the lower right side ( looking at the end of the opening )

It would be a shame to throw out the case if it can be salvaged...

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.....