Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cracked Bell Housing TH350

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LAZYMON, Jul 6, 2001.

1. LAZYMON

LAZYMON 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I developed this rattling sound and finally checked it out. My tranny case bell housing has a crack in it. This can't be good but how bad is it? Can I continue to drive it like this? What would cause this? The tranny still operates well. When I do replace it should I go with the TH400?

Let The Sun Shine Down Upon My Face
    Topless 73

2. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

I wouldent drive it any more,,,,, awhile ago i got rearended and it cracked my trannie and it got to the point where i had to put 7 quarts in it just to make it one block!

"The more Beer , The Harder the Trail!"

3. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

if you need your truck everyday I would get it fixed somehow. If your trans is in good shape the bell houseing can be welded if it is just a crack. Anything more than a crack and it is toast because it the trans is not perfectly centered it will cause vibrations bearing failure and leaks. where is the crack? Depending on the location someone might be able to weld it for you in the truck. If you are serious about your truck and the transmission needs to come out to """repair """" this then I would get another transmission. My two cents....
    Good luck,
    Mike

You call that dirty!?

4. LAZYMON

LAZYMON 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I use it mainly for offroading. I just want it to go a little longer untill I find something to replace it with.

Let The Sun Shine Down Upon My Face
    Topless 73

5. grumpy

grumpy 1/2 ton status

This happened to me a few years ago. The cause was a 2WD tranny case (thin) and not having the 3 braces installed. I had to relplace the transmission but made sure I got a 4WD(thick) version.
    David

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you've got the "thin" case, then I too would run it but be saving up to replace it with a better unit.

If it's already a 4wd unit, remove it, and have it repaired. As stated before as well, if the crack actually "splits" the bellhousing where it bolts to the motor, I'd scrap it as well. Any other place, I'd have it welded. If they can reliable weld aluminum engine heads containing immense pressure, I wouldn't worry about having a bellhousing welded up. Only cost me $40 to have an aluminum head welding shop repair my automatic transmission pump that I drilled through. (trying to correct a manufacturers oversight of course! heh)

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

GM had this problem. Somewhere around 76-77 GM came out with a 4x4 TH350 case. The bellhousing is thicker and the inspection cover is a cast aluminum peice that has braces on it to the motor mounts. The cover and the braces are getting hard to find. Cheapest thing to do is hit a junk yard and find a Newer tranny that is rebuldable. If you bring the tranny in loose most Local (as in not Ammco, MRS Trans (the compnay is run by a woman and I'm about to sue them)) but a local shop will rebuild them for around $300-400. Bring them the blown up case for parts for the new tranny if they need them.
    Waiting to bust my 75 so I can justify going to a 465 [​IMG]

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</A>

Grim-Reaper