Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cracked bellhousing for sm465

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MaxCrack, May 5, 2005.

1. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

I have three, count them, one...two...three bellhousings for an sm465 and all of them have the exact same crack. It starts from front bottom corner of the whole for the clutch fork and runs down arond the bell housing. The longest one is about 8" and the shortest one is about 4". Since they all have it I am assuming this is very common. How bad would it be to use one of these things? I was planning to just drill a hole at the end of the shortest crack and go with it. It will only be in there for a year or two at the most. I should be replacing the engine and swapping to a hydro clutch or a steel bellhousing set up in that time frame. But I would like to drive the thing until then.

What are some of your opinions?

2. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Drill the hole, then weld it back together...

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I think this and one other post are the only ones I've seen about cracked bellhousing. I'm aware of no inherent flaw in GM's bellhousings, the Aluminum ones are pretty much all the same in design, and were used for a LONG time. My dad's is original 1974 and still works fine.

These aren't all broken from the same truck I assume, or the answer would be obvious, there's something else wrong on that vehicle.

4. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Never seen it before, definitely wouldn't call it common.

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I have one id sell ya without a crack. Im in the bay area.

6. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Nope, these came out of 3 different trucks. If this is not common I guess I am just unlucky.

Thanks for the offer. I got another one from a friend.

7. stus84

stus84 1/2 ton status

Bellhousing - I have been searching for weeks and have posted in parts wanted and searched all the yards around here. I will take that bellhousing off your hands for top $ and pay shipping.

"dyeager535 I think this and one other post are the only ones I've seen about cracked bellhousing. "

I was that guy - here is the pic if anyone is interested http://community.webshots.com/user/stus84

8. dyeager535

Where did that crack start? The way it's cracked in the picture looks like the weight hanging off the back of it caused the crack. Bad tranny mounts perhaps allowing too much movement??

9. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

That looks exactly like mine, only mine are all a lot smaller. It starts at the front bottom corner of the hole for the clutch fork. Mine didn't have time to grow that big.

10. stus84

stus84 1/2 ton status

crack

"dyeager535 Where did that crack start? The way it's cracked in the picture looks like the weight hanging off the back of it caused the crack. Bad tranny mounts perhaps allowing too much movement??"

The story - I let my wifes brother borrow the K5 because his super 10 was broke down when he was back from college over winter break. After about 1 week of driving he said it was making some kind of funny noise - He then checked for some routine things and ended up poking his head under the rig when he noticed this massive crack. The size of the crack in the pic was as big as it was the first time I saw it. I am not sure excataly what happened but on his way back to my house after noticing the crack something else happened - another noise and now almost back to my place it runs great but will not shift - stuck in neutral - I have had little experiance with manual trannies I dont know what happened and this is where I am today with it - sitting in the garage all bolts & wires removed except the top two waiting for a buddie to help me pull it out and waiting on a new bellhousing... I am thinking I will replace the clutch and have flywheel resurfaced when I remove the tranny - or to save a littl $ does anyone think the clutch will be ok. I hear the SM465 is pretty tough so I dont think anything is wrong the tranny itself. I am not sure but I have a 4 wheel parts right down the road from me so maybe I will bring the tranny there for a checkup. or is there any other way to tell if the tranny is wrecked.. sorry so long....

11. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

my SM465 Bell housing had two cracks in it. I had it welded and so far so good. When I get enough money I will buy a Steel one from Lakewood. (yes they do make one) :D They are pricey thou at about 400-500. :crazy:

12. dyeager535

Once you get it out you can stick the shifter back in and verify it still shifts. I'd probably only be concerned with the input shaft, that the bearing isn't too "loose" and that the tip (for the pilot bushing) isn't destroyed and the shaft is still straight.