Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cracked block at starter mount?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blaze`, Nov 29, 2002.

1. Blaze`

Blaze` Registered Member

Can anyone offer a suggestion on fixing a cracked block at the passenger side starter mount? It is causing my starter to loosen and eat my flywheel and starter gear. Any suggestions besides the obvious of replacing the block would be appreicated. Can you weld the crack? Would JB Weld work?

Thanks in advance.

donovan
    `73 K5 Blazer w/350 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I have heard of people getting the block welded up. That might be an easy option.

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

That exact thing happened to me a couple months ago, even had a post about my problem. Yes you can get it welded up. I had mine welded up, and I also made myself a starter hold bracket for the tail end of the starter motor that bolts to the block.

4. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Had the same problem, got it welded up, with a lifetime guarantee. Cost me $200. Small price to pay when you think about the cost of a new block.

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I got mine done for free, but then it helps to know people /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. BlaznRebel

BlaznRebel 1/2 ton status

WEld it and GM sells a starter brace for a SBC, it's like 7 dollars. The brace will keep the starter from torqing out, they are used primarily on high torque motors like deisels. I have a brand new one here if anyone wants it.

7. Ck1500

Ck1500 1/2 ton status

i had mine happen in my 1988 Chevy PU and i dropped the starter and welded it up myself and installed the starter bracket for 14 bucks it was soooooooo worth it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

hope this helps

Ck1500 /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

8. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Don't scrap it, JB it!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

most all SBC came with a rear mount brace since back in at least the late 60's ive got several ive saved off of old 307's and 350's and such form 67-72 years, but i just tossed em all out along with all kinds of old style engine mount trees and mounts and clutch linkages last week.

good luck