Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cracked floor board

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by opfor2, Mar 18, 2003.

1. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

Hi All,

I removed the carpet and sound padding on my 90 Blazer yesterday and I noticed that the sheet metal around the right rear drivers seat mounting bracket (floor board) had an approximate 5 inch crack in it. I also noticed that a lot of the spot welds that hold the body to the “I” beam were also broken. (This beam is just before the frame, it appeared to support the floor board)

Any ideas as to what I should do ? Can I just have the crack and support welded or what

I have .Jpg's that I can e-mail to give you a better idea of what I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance

Dan…

2. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

I had the exact same problem with mine, cracked floor around the seat bolts and the spot welds were broken. I drilled the spot welds and put in about 6 pop rivets in their place along that beam to fix it.

As for the seats, I made a steel brace that goes between the seat frame and the floor, so the weight of the seat is distributed a lot better. I used 1/4" steel bar for it, and bent it to fit the shape of the floor. Made 4 of them, 2 for each seat. After having them in, the seats feel a lot more sturdy. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Steve
    [​IMG]

3. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

The problem with the cracking is due to the way the seats are attached to the frame. They are attached too far back... I guess they did this in order to get more foot room for the rear passengers... but they created a metal fatigue problem due to the bending moments caused by our fat a$$'s on the seats.

I'd go with the 1/4" flat bar solution that scrappy88 did, should solve the problem. Might be an idea to weld up the cracks and re weld where the spot welds were in order to prevent any other problems.

4. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Do a search above for: Floor repair.
    You will find alot of info on it as it has been discussed many times here.
    Here is what I did, Floor Repair
    Look down through the album to see the pics you want.
    Hope it helps.

5. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I dont have pics or a write up. But what I did was....
    -Get some 18-20gauge sheet metal cut it to size. Drill holes in that and the floor... make sure everything is rust free and clean.
    -Rivet the steel onto the floor
    -Used grinded fiber glass (kitty hair) over the sheet metal and the floor let it harden and sanded it.
    -Duplicolor bed liner over the whole floor.

6. McD Blzr

McD Blzr Registered Member

Did my carpets this weekend too. Same exact problem.
    Scrappy88, I could use a set of those braces for both seats. Cost?
    On the other hand, can anyone else use them, get a production run going? Looking at the bends, you have access to the equip to do it right.

7. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

PM'd you about that. I suppose if enough people wanted them I could start making them. I'm not sure how the floorboards changed through the years though. Mine is an 88, and I'm sure the seat frames are different in earlier years. I made those with a gas welder to heat the metal, and a vice to bend it.
    -Steve

8. EG89K5

EG89K5 Newbie

Glad to see I'm not alone here!! I was cleaning the underside of my `89 today and saw the floor was cracked on the driver's side seat mounts also...guess I'll make the brackets too unless someone is making them now?

9. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

welcome to the board. This is just one of the many common things you will find here. There have been several discussions about this problem. and you can find many fixes here. There is a TON of useful information here. hope you enjoy.