Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cracked Floor

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zcarczar, Dec 19, 2002.

1. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

My Floor is cracked pretty bad. Its right under the drivers side seat mounts. What do I have to do to fix it? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

braze it up...tryin to weld it is almost a lost cause because the metal is so thin....unless you are really good with a mig i wouldent even try that route..

3. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

hmm, could I get some say .120 plate steel and use it sandwitch the cracks and weld em up?

4. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

well what i did...i dont know if its the correct way or the best way but it worked well for me...took a wire coat hanger and used that as brazeing rod...took a torch and sealed up all the cracks...all the cracks i fixed are still holding up fine but a few new ones showed up...i need to pull up the carpet and do it again...i dident use another sheet of steel either under it...but i am sure it wouldent hurt anything if ya did

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If you can sandwich the area with some thick sheet metal it would be the best.
    When I was doing a frame of on my 73, the whole section was rusted out so instead of getting a replacement, I got a 0.120 plate and formed it with a couple of bends to make it stronger and welded the nuts from under from the original floor.
    Now I have a great thick bullet ptoof floor.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif