Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cracked frame at steering box

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kpanza, Jun 5, 2001.

1. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Well, I made it through six years of 4x4 abuse with the frame being ok, but it finally cracked on me sometime between our last trip to Big Bear and today. And I have had the AutoFab steering box brace (the same one ORD sells) on there for 5 of those years!! But I guess the combination of 35s, ARB locker, John Bull trail and just plain old age caught up with the frame. The crack is just big enough to have the steering box move a bit, but I plan on fixing it this weekend right away.

But the good news is that I finally got my new front extended shock towers (the Furd ones) on this weekend! Those 9012s should be able to droop to their heart's content now!! [​IMG] You win some, you lose some...

2. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

I just took of my old stock box and it had a couple cracks starting. Not too bad, but with my plans it would be soon. So i ordered, ORD's brace and I bought the weld on reinforsment plate from 4WP. That should last a while.

That's because I'm the devil.

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Will the reinforcment plate fit with the ORD brace?

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

4. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Actually I don't yet. I sure hope so. I'm pretty sure it will. The plate is no more than a 1/4" thick. I'll take a close look when I get home later and let you know.

5. Chaotical

Chaotical Registered Member

So is it possible to have more crackin after the brace ..
    I put one on that I ordered from 4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers
    it was real thin 1/8th inch steal. POS hope I don't have anymore Cracks now...

85 Jimmy 4" Lift, 3" body bought have not installed yet, Dana 44, 14bff,
    37" SSR's Yes they FIT with a 4" lift and don't rub.

6. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

I just installed the weld on kit on my 90. It was cracked really bad and the front (closet to bumber) blew out a hole the size of a half dollar. The weld on kit from ORD was great. Take your time and clean up the metal really good. I welded the cracks first and welded in a washer on the hole. Clean up the welds and then weld the new plate in. I also laid some good size beads on the back of the frame for support. I will be posting a step by step of my engine install, frame fix and shackle flip with pics and prices.

The Few, The Proud, The K5 Blazer

7. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Yep.... That is a must. YOu have to fix those current cracks. Even putting a stop hole at the end of each crack and then welding would be a great idea, then go with hte weld plate then the bolt on kit. After that, if you crack the frame....Well you need to get some steroids for the frame......

Steve Fox for President, 2004.
    Jimi Hendrix was re-incarnated in 1990 as my....JIMI

8. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

I have not had the 4WPW plates welded on yet but I just bolted them on Wed night along with the ORD brace to check and they both fit.

9. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I had heard that it should fit with both the weld-in kit and the brace - so thanks for confirming that for me!!