Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cracked frame at steering box

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chevychic, Jun 9, 2003.

1. chevychic

chevychic Registered Member

Hey all,

It's been a LONG time since I've posted! But I've got a problem I'm hoping you guys can help me with. I have the notorious crack on my frame at the steering box. Apparently it happened with the PO who then tried to patch it with a weld kit and didn't do a very good job. The forward top bolt from the steering box is gone and, well you can see from the pic what's going on. I'm going to pick up the bracket from offroad design but I need to take this into a shop to get repaired. Here's my question..
    I have a couple of options of who to take it to.
    I've called around to a few different shops who will fix the frame and replace the weld kit with a stronger reinforcement for the tune of about $400 - $500 /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif ....OR
    I have a friend that does some welding (not as a living) who works at a junkyard and will cut the frame and replace it with an intact frame from the yard and install a new weld kit all for $150.

In your experience is it better to take it to a shop who can warranty the work and spend the $400- $500 but won't replace the bad portion of frame...or have the friend who can do it for around $150, will replace the frame, has done frame welding before, but doesn't do it full time as a living (that I know of)?

Here's the pic so you can see for yourself:
    [​IMG]

Any tips or advice would be helpful! I won't drive it until I get this fixed and I really miss my truck! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Did you also post this in th NW forum, if not do so.... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

3. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

Wow that is a lot of money. Looks like a bad crack too. I would be kind of weary of letting a scrap yard guy do it unless he is a good friend that will warrenty it and you know he is a good welder. After all, he has to weld it strong and STRAIGHT. I can understand a big welding shop wanting a lot of money, but have you asked around about smaller shops? Around me there are a couple people who do it out of there garage at home. They always warranty their work and are a lot cheaper than large shops. I would go to local businesses that you think would need things welded often and ask them who they use. I hope you find a cheaper price, good luck.