Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cracked frame at the steering box...suggestions?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wsudu, Feb 11, 2001.

1. wsudu

wsudu Registered Member

It's cracked all the way around..And just like the post before me...My steering is loose also....It's like the truck just wants to unintentionaly hit jeeps and fords on the highway. Would a crack in the frame really make the steering loose? It likes to jump a lot. So I took it to a shop(cause Pep Boys said their rack was too small) and they gave me a $1400 estimate for tie rods, ball joints, and shackle bushings, and the welding?! I'm just a poor ass college kid. What first is the cheapest most effective way to fix this problem ....I can only do this in steps. I really need your help. Thanks

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Yes sir, that crack will cause it to jump. All that flex makes for loose steering. Order a weld-on steering brace from ORD (Off-Road Desing) and have a local frame shop weld it on. They'll fix the crack and the brace will stiffen things up and make sure you never have this problem again.

June 2001 - The Texas Sawz All masacre begins. Be afraid rust, be very afraid. [​IMG]

3. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

Give Steven Watson a call at Off-Road Design, and discuss the problem with him. http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/steeringkit.htm Good Luck.

To everyone else with a '73 or newer, this could be your post if you don't already have the Bolt-in Steering Box Brace Kit from ORD.

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".

4. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

Dude that sucks. I know that my friend put a steeing box brace in his '73 from ORD. This reminds me to check mine too. What do you mean by "jump"? I'm affraid that maybe my steering box is cracked. I'll have to check it out and pray that it's not. When are we going wheeling!? Oh, might be a while huh.......CRAP! If you need help, don't hesitate to drop me a line. Later man.

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos

5. flcpl4fn

flcpl4fn 1/2 ton status

My frame wasn't cracked, but I just put the ORD bolt on steering brace on my 1985 Jimmy and I can sure tell a difference with it on there. Plus I don't have to worry about it cracking now.

'85 Jimmy in Jax, Fl