Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cracked frame, broken studs in my 60........what next?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Derf00, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I recently pulled my steering box and sent it to WTOR for a rebuild and conversion for x-over. After close inspection of the frame, my son found a small crack. Well I guess it is time for a weld on brace.

Today, my x-over parts came in from ORD. Installed the new steering arm then when I started removing the old arm, and the raised block. One stud had sheared off flush with the axle, one stud is frozen in place, but the nut came off, and the other two came out with out any problems. I guess I will soak both studs w/PB Blaster for a day or so then see what happens.

Any suggestions?

2. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

If the PB blaster doesn't work, as a last resort you can try heating up the piece you want to come off. I don't know if this would work since it sheared off in the axle. Be carefull of the heat though. I wouldn't use much.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> PB Blaster is your freind... I had a broken stud in my 60 also, I soaked it with PB Blaster for a week, then drilled it from the bottom. the heat from the bit loosened it and spun it right out, I didn't even need to use an easy out on it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif It was out of the truck at the time and stripped from the knuckles out, not sure if drilling from the inside is possible with the axle assembled.

Hey, a quote from me in 2 people's sigs now! Aren't I the popular one! /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif </font color>

4. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Soak the non broken one with PB, then put two nuts on it and tighten them together, use the bottom one to try and unscrew the stud. On the broken one, drill a hole completly through the stud then soak it with PB blaster and try and EZ Out on it.

Depdog

5. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

I have used this technique a lot with sucsess. Drill down the center of the stud. start small and drill up to one drill size below tap size. Take a new hacksaw blade and grind the backside down so it'll fit in the hole and about 1" of stroke clearance. Start cutting from the inside of the hole out towards the threads. Cut thru the thread in the stud in two places opposite each other. When done, take a punch and tap the two halfs in towards each other, soak with PB blaster. This should releave the thread bind and allow you to use a large screwdriver to back it out.

6. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

on the stud thats frozen just jack two nuts against each other as hard as possible (if the threads are ok) then just turn the lower nut and unscrew the whole assembly like a bolt. the upper nut will keep the lower one from moving....course you may have already tried this

Ryan