Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CRACKED FRAME...[censored]!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88MudBeast, Nov 19, 2001.

1. 88MudBeast

88MudBeast Registered Member

So i dropped my truck off at the mechanic last week because of starter problems, and they fixxed it. I dropped by today to check on the progress, and they found a [censored] crack in the frame, it goes about 2/3s of the way up the frame....This blows sooo much, its up towards the front on the driverside right next to the gearbox where the steering column connects....yeah i didnt use any of the right termonology there, but i think you guys know where im talking about...its right by the block. Anyhowm he thinks its fromt the stress my 33s put on the frame, but i have no ieda. He says the best thing to do is to go find another frame at the junkyard, weld the crack together and then weld the new piece on top of it. Is it safe to drive at all? Cause I need a car while they are closed over the holiday.
    Later
    Jake

DAMNIT this SUCKS!!

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Not that this will help your situation much, but this is <font color=red>COMMON</font color=red>. Had that happen with two of my K5's now, my current ride just got the patch kit put on in August. Check out pics of the weld in kit on my site below............this repair should cost you no more than $250, and should NOT entail grafting a frame section in. Should be able to just weld the kit on and when that is done, BUY AN ORD BRACE........

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

BlazinOr has it dead on. Weld up the existing crack after removing all the stuff in the way. Then, get the repair kit welded in and add a brace. The repair kit alone is MUCH stronger than the factory frame and the brace will also provide additional strength.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

4. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

as if they could find a replacement frame that wasnt cracked there. maybe a 2wdr one.
    welcome to the club!

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Its a Chevy Thing, jeeps wouldn't understand! When you say 2/3 up the frame, do you mean length wise or wrap around? Mine went up and down through the two holes that hold the gear box on and almost to the bottom rail, About 6" long! I havent bought the patch kit.........yet.

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

no such thing never heard of it, it only happens on yugo's,[​IMG] I just installed a repair kit on mine, it took three day's and alot of overhead welding but it's done, and did I mention Beer yes alot of beer[​IMG]

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

7. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

mine isnt and hasnt cracked hahahahaha i got an ord brace when i went to 35s tho heh heh heh

dents ....
    O R D's axles
    NO BREAKAGE :)

8. 88MudBeast

88MudBeast Registered Member

Holy [censored]! 3 days?!?! I cant weld, and i sure as [censored] dont want my mechanic welding on my truck for 3 days...even one...that would cost a forutne....is there anybody who knows how to do this? I guess I would need to find somebody that lives in Dallas, cause thats where i live. [censored] this sucks...oh its 2/3s of the way up...i think i havnt gotten that close of a look at it. Thanks for you help.

Jake

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

You got the forums bookmarked right and haven't been to the front page in months right? hahaha
    Steve just had this happen and has an excelent write up on how to fix this. Parts are available from ORD. You also want ot get the ORD steering brace.
    communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim>coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Don't get to cocky there fellow. You can still crack it even with the brace. Just takes more. Definatly worth getting a brace and for most of us it is enough to prevent a crack but some of us will still manage to crack it.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

11. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

i wish i was closer to you so i could show you the cracks in your frame

12. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

I did mine when i pulled the front clip off, and had the motor out during an engine swap.
    the welding part, including stitching everything that was riveted, took less then 1/2 hour.
    the difference it made was unbelieveable.
    the engine crossmember is usually broken worse then any other spot, under the mech fuelpump area.
    If i were to do another 1/2 ton frome I wouldnt waste time repairing the old style crossmember but rather hit the wreckers and get the newest version that chev used.
    It is thicker, has an extra lip, and a riveted angle bracket.

13. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Grim is right, I had a brace on and cracked my frame..............most of its life had 'only' 33's in it too. The brace by itself is NOT a guarantee no matter what you think/hear. I am living proof.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

14. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

i said HASNT , meaning it probly will , sheesh . and no 77 chev there arent any cracks , i also have a new beefy crossmember for my crossover .....

dents ....
    O R D's axles
    NO BREAKAGE :)