Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CRACKED FRAME IN SAN DIEGO!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by unicknn, Jul 26, 2002.

1. unicknn

unicknn 1/2 ton status

Anyone know of a good place to get my frame fixed in San Diego? Its cracked pretty bad on the drivers side around the sterring gear box. I found a guy that would do it for $200 but I dont like the looks of his bisness and I dont think he'll do a good job. Any help would be greatly apreciated.

thanx
    Nick

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Where did you go, Jeff Sheckle Auto? Theres a place in North County called Mathews Welding off Twin Oaks road, I had them tig an aluminum case up a while back and they did excellent work!

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

$200usd is a rip off
    if you pull the box out of the way it would take way under an hour to weld a few cracks and put the reinforcement kit in.

4. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Under an hour? HA! I just did it. And it takes a little longer than that for the average person. And this is the second time I have been in on an installation. First time there were 3 of us. This time I was by myself. And if you take the steering box off you can't drive it to the welder's place.

Take the money you would have spent on the welder guy and use it to buy a Lincon 100 welder. Then do it yourself. IF you have never welded anything before, practice on some scrap metal first. In the meantime, order the Fish Plates from ORD and read the instructions at least 3 times. Follow them exactly. It will take you about 4 hours to get the box off and everything cleared out of the way and clean the area to be welded. Another hour to V groove the cracks, an hour to bolt on the plate and weld it, and another 4 hours to get it all back together. Good Luck!

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I did a long block swap, and frame repair with strengthen kit, and welded the broken engine crossmember as well as every found crack, and stitched every crossmember as far as I could reach from the front, and then pulled the engine to put the clutch disc in the correct way in a single day.
    no way the steering repair took 10 hours of that day.
    less time drinking more time wrenching next time you do it.

6. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

I didn't drink a single beer untill it was finished. You must keep in mind that I am not a mechanic and don't have all the neat tools and lifts and stuff. I borrowed an impact wrench for the job but still had to use a breaker bar to loosen the steering box bolts. If you did all that stuff in one day you must have already had the steering box off and maybe the body too. Did you have help or did you do it by yourself? Are you fully equipped? Are you an experienced mechanic? I'm not. I pound nails for a living. Wrenching is something I used to do only when needed. Now that it seems to be a hobby I'm buying tools as I need them and getting a lot of help from this board.

OH! Are you from Canada? Nevermind... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

By the way, Nick, there are a small group of us that go wheeling in San Diego about once a month. Our next trip looks like it will be Coral Canyon around Lake Morena. If you want to get out wheeling with some of the other locals then take a trip over to our message board at ( http://www.echobit.com/cgi-bin/iconboard/ikonboard.cgi ), sign up and follow the San Diego Trail Runs thread. We'd be happy to have you aboard.

- Mike

8. DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF Registered Member

If you happen to be in the east county I'd reccomend East County Frame and Axle. They have been in business for about 50 years and do quality work.

9. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Hey Mike,
    What experiance did you have with JSA ?
    Jim

10. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

JSA's workmanship was good, once they got around to doing it. Not all of the costs associated were disclosed up front and were inflated. While Jeff was knowledgable he came off kinda rude. It didn't apear that his staff, who actually preform the work, were very in tune to what they were doing and the whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth. I had planned to get some driveshaft work done there as well which had needed retubing and lengthening, I later decided against it after the above problems but had already left the shaft with them on hold. When I cashed out the other work, they didn't know where my drivesahft was anymore. Since I had found another place which would CV it for about a third the cost JSA quoted, I cut my losses and never looked back.

11. DILLIGAF

Strange you should say that, I was at East County Drive Shaft the other day and they had a load of JSA Shafts to work on. JSA dosn't do any drive shaft work themselves. I wouldn't doubt that you drive shaft is over at East County waiting to be found. They also do the work for MIT.

12. unicknn

unicknn 1/2 ton status

well thanx for all the info. im in coronado so i was looking for a place closer to here but i guess ill try one of these places. how long does it take them to do this because this blazer is my only vehicle.

lmk
    nick

13. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Yup...
    They do good work but lacks oragnization. I've known Jeff for a long time through work. He buys his GM motors from me and other assorted 4x4 stuff. I swapped some parts for the labor on my ball joints. Small world....
    Jim

14. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Being that I'm in El Cajon, I don't know of any shops elsewhere. I would try M.I.T. or Frame & Axle. There are a ton of fab shops in El Cajon and Santee that could do a killer job. 4 Wheel Direct may be an option.
    Jim

15. DILLIGAF

MIT sends their work to East County Drive Shaft, so why use a middle man?

Closer to Coranado, I'd use San Diego Drive Shaft (or Line) in IB /forums/images/icons/cool.gif