Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cracked frame, need stronger shock mounting

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazinaire, May 28, 2002.

1. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! This weekend at Pismo, I finally cracked my frame! It was right where the upper rear passenger side shock stud bolts in and it is about 5'' long horizontally. The stud is still in there fine just ever so slightly pointing downwards, but I'd rather not damage the frame any further. How should I go about repairing this? Would simply running a bead on either side be enough? The upper shock mount plate that is attached to the top of the frame on the drivers side rear is also bent slightly downwards. Besides angleing my shocks inwards with a new crossmember, what are some stronger then stock ways to mount my rear shocks while mainting my lower shock mounts? I plan on installing limiting straps soon too.

2. 85 Shortbox

85 Shortbox 1/2 ton status

I don't know if the blazer's are the same as the trucks but I had the same problem on my truck. What I did was cleaned up and then welded the cracks up. Then I took some I believe it was 1/2inch threaded rod, and stuck it through the hole in the frame where the shock mounts go and put a nut on it on both sides so it was tight. Then I welded that right to the frame. It seems to have worked real well.

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

why retain the stock lower mounts? if you want flex, ditch them. anything would be an upgarde, check out the rear set ups that Missouri Offroad Outfitters has along with the one Howlin' Off Road offers....
    If you want to keep the stock lowers we can work something out on that too

4. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

The stud is still good and I have extras if it did break, it is just the point where it goes into the frame that is weak. No damage was done to the shocks either, they are just trying to pull the stud through the frame. I will try welding the frame and reinstalling the stud. I am also worried that if I mount limiting straps to the frame, they will try to pull through just like the shock studs. I know that I want one per side, to keep from overextending when articulating, not just when the whole axle droops. So I guess the new question would be how could I mount the limiting straps so that the top mounts won't pull through the frame?

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

interesting
    I would have guessed that frame problem was damaged on compression.
    common problem with K5 frames