Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cracked frame, NOT @ steering box.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Geargrinder, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

On my '84 3/4T Burb right behind the engine x-member on each side there are 3 or 4 holes (factory) and the 1st one has a VERY strait crack through it :mad: It almost looks like its a split from the factory, but I can't figure why it would be. It seems to me I have seen this before.
    Any good advice on fixing them? Should I just weld them, or should I put a dimond shaped patch over all the holes?

PS: I did a serch, but all I came up with was steering box cracks :o go figure :laugh:

2. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

my frame is cracked there to

3. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I would stop drill the crack and then weld it up on both sides. Keep an eye on it and if it cracks again you'll have to take more drastic measures. I've had a lot of trouble with my frame cracking in 4 different areas. I'll be boxing the frame and adding more crossmembers soon.

4. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I am on my third cross member, next one it going to be real beefy and home made.

the second one turned out to have a crack in it after I had already just put it in:1zhelp:

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

mine was cracked too...

My 74 K20 had several cracks in the front part of the frame,but none behind the steering box!--the former owner had removed most of the rivets holding the crossmembers in,and put grade 8 bolts and lockwashers in their place,and also welded them right to the frame--he also welded the front spring hangers in too,when he noticed loose rivets there ...its held up good for 15 years,even with me plowing and beating the hell out of it--now its rusted too far to bother fixing,and its coming apart soon...:frown1:

My friends 86 K20 had a huge crack in the frame on the passenger side,right next to the shock absorber--and his truck was a nice silverado owened by an old man who never took it offroad or abused it!--he had his brother,an experienced welder,stitch it back up for him--about 1 inch to go,it would have cracked right in two,and i'm sure it would have been a bad accident,if not deadly...:crazy:

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

got an 86 c-10 shortbed pickup out here the driver frame rail cracked right at front of engine cradle, way behind the box, all way through

so it bent the pass side rail

happens

its funny cuz the truck will start to turn opposite way than you are turning then snaps back

its not good..

personally i would never drive or own a crack repaired truck, too risky for me and other ppl on the road

good luck

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

welded frames dont scare me...

I think every truck I've had except 2 K5's had cracks somewhere in the frame,or shock mounts ripped out..must be our wonderful roads and rust that kill them!.
    But I have no fears driving a truck thats had the frame properly welded back together,many big trucks they cut and extend the frames all the time,as long as its done right,its as safe as a stock frame....at least I've never had one crack or fail yet,and I'm kinda hard on my trucks at times..

My friend that built the 72 Chevelle wagon 4x4 I had has done that sort of work for 30 years-( he had to take 11 inches out of the burb frame to match the wagons wheeltubs)-one day when I went to his house he had a 1986 C-30 truck that he had made into a beavertail car hauler with a modified kenworth sleeper--he had scored another 86 truck,a K-30 from a town Park and Recreation department--he cut them both right behind the cab,and we rolled the ramp body over to the K-30 and butted them back together,and he welded and fish plated them back together!(he checked and they both had 4.56 gears,so no gear swap was needed)--about 4 hours later he drove it away,to go pick up another truck!..He still has it,and that was in 1989!...lost count of how many cars and trucks its moved over the years...:crazy: