Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cracked frame?on a 80

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PAVEVENT SUCKS, Dec 14, 2001.

1. PAVEVENT SUCKS

PAVEVENT SUCKS Registered Member

im wondering if i need to support the frame at the steering box on an 80 k-5 .ive got a 6 inch suspension lift ,and a 3 inch body ,running 38's.?ive benn told to do it,and ive been told only the 73's & 74's had this problem.also im a newer member & would like to say thank you to evereyone who helps eachother out on this site,its nice to get a varitey of opinions

2. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I have seen 33's crack the frame. You definitely need to brace it. I recomment the weld in brace and the bolt in brace from <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/steeringkit.htm>ORD</a>. You should never have a problem with this setup. All years have this happen.

'85 K5 : Run it til it breaks, then fix it and go again!

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

my 73 did it, my 76 did it, my 84 did it and my 87. most had 33-40's on them. my 84 had 31's but it was a plow truck and I beat the snot out of it! the ORD brace is what you need.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

4. sinchphoto

sinchphoto 1/2 ton status

you deffinately need to do it

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Not only do the ORD brace, but do the weld in kit too. I had a crack in the frame after having the ORD brace on for about 9 months. Best bet is to do both and you might be able to forget about frame problems forever.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>