Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cracked frame-Transfer case cross member at mounting holes!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SkulzNBonz, Sep 16, 2002.

1. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

While under the truck Saturday, I noticed two cracks on the frame where the transfer case crossmember mounts to the frame. My t-case is lowered 1", stock crossmember. Anyone else had this problem, and what is a good way of making sure it doesn't reoccur? My current plan is to drill the ends of the cracks, then weld them up and add a piece of plate to reinforce the frame in that area. Gonna do both sides, even though only the area around the mounting bolts on one side is cracked. Any other ideas out there? I'm guessing Disney took it's toll. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

TIA,
    John

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

If your talking the actual frame rails at the Xmemeber, Mine has been repaired there. The PO had done it so its a little butch. All he did was get a piece of 2x2x1/4 in angle iron and drilled it to fit, drilled another bolt on either side and welded the ends of the angle to the frame. When I got it, I beveled out the crack, and smoked it back together w a 220V Mig welder, ground it flush , dressed it and painted the frame. From what I was told (by someone who supposedly seen it) the PO had jumped it quite high and it cracked both rails on landing.

3. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Thanks. Yeah, it's cracked at the frame rails where the crossmember attaches. I haven't jumped it, but I have wheeled the p!$$ out of it. I've high centered and/or rested/dragged over countless obstacles on the skidplate. Just wanted to see if there were any other fixes. Thanks again.

John

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Well do it cleaner than the PO did to mine but that should work. Be sure to bevel the crack out and smoke it in good. Be sure you see a red glow on the back side of the rail to assure penetration.

5. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Mine cracked on the driver's side. I welded a piece of 3x2 1/4" angle iron on the inside. I also suggest losing your small aluminum spacers. Try cutting two pieces of 1" plate. That way you get much more surface area to support the crossmember.