Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cracked Frame

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dammit32, Jul 18, 2004.

1. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

My frame finally cracked near my steering box so I ordered a weld in repair brace. I thought GM might have corrected the problem on the later models but I guess not LOL. A coupole questions came to mind after removing the steering box. Why do the mounting bolts have spacers near the head of the bolts? Can I just leave them out instead of buying longer bolts?

Chris

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

O got my weld in frame repair for free from GM they had a recall when the found out about this problem so that they could repair it so it is still a safety hazard since it was a recall,My dad works for GM so maybe that had somehting to do with it, maybe they dont want anyone to know.
    -Chris

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I threw the spacers away...and installed a bolt in brace after I finished the weld in kit.

Rene

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Buy the bolt on brace, it includes new bolts and has built in, "spacers."

I sell it as does ORD and a number of others, just shoot me a PM, I've got four of them in stock right now, three of them for the 82-up trucks. CK5 members get free shipping from me.

No matter who you buy it from, GET IT. It's a must to eliminate future issues. I really wish I'd bought it before i trashed my frame, but I didn't, and I was in the same boat as you at one point.

5. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

i welded it all up and it looks pretty but I have to wait til the middle of the week for the weld in brace to stiffen it up

6. trailblazer86

trailblazer86 1/2 ton status

Get the brace along with the weld in repair kit. Don't forget to drill a small hole at the ends of the cracks and grind the cracks out real good. A MIG welder really makes this job a lot easier.
    Once all is said and done you won't believe how well the truck drives.

7. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I got the brace..but havent put it on yet.. since the truck isnt on the road yet im not really rushing... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif