Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cracked frame

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 86chevybanshee, Sep 12, 2004.

1. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

im looking at a shortbed with a cracked frame. its cracked on the passenger side right after the shock mount, it also looks like the shock mount was welded in, whats the best way to repair this crack, its all the way through except on the top of the rail, its a really really nice truck for a great price, plus the crack brings it down to an even better price

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

You can "V" out the crack then pull the crack closed with various forms of clamps and so on. Once you get it pulled tight and tack it. Make sure everything is as straight as possible then weld it up. At this point you should put some fish plates over the crack. Probably just one side is all that would be required. Difficult to describe how the ends of the fish plates should be shaped. Avoid 90 degree corners. Radius everything and don't weld solid. More of a stitch weld. See if you can find some picture of chevy steering box area frame repair kits. They are shaped properly.

3. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

its kinda in a difficult area to weld in a fish plate thing, ill have to take a pic of it

4. poorboy1

poorboy1 Registered Member

mine was cracked like that on the driver side and after v' ing the crack i welded it and put a peice of flat over it and welded it. I have been beating the crap out of it for 3 years and still holding.

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Some further thots:

Drill a small hole thru the frame rail at the end of the crack. It's OK to fill the hole with weld metal.

After V-ing the crack and welding it, grind the bead down to flush - even if you don't fish-plate it. The change in thickness at the weld forms a stress riser making it more likely to crack there again. Do NOT gouge the side of the frame rail with the grinder. I usually take it down close with a grinding wheel and then finish off with a sandpaper disc.

Move the dampers away from there. Fab up some hoops and put the axle end where it belongs, on the top of the 'C' bracket.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I've seen an 86 truck with the same cracks--frame nearly broken in two just behind the passenger side shock mount--My friends brother was a certified welder,he just jacked the truck up in the right spot to close up the crack,and welded it with 7018 low hydrogen rod--it never had a problem after,despite several off road beatings.I've seen others fix theirs by welding it up,grinding it flush,and welding another peice of frame rail from the boneyard over it.Not pretty,but its effective!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

i have an 86 k5 im in the process of building and after i bought the truck i realized there was a large crack in the frame on the right rear shock mount. the original owner welded the shock bolt right to the frame and then continued to weld a 1" glob around it /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. the truck drives straight so i was just going to box the frame on the open side, grind down the glob, and weld a 1/4" thick piece of steel on the other side it should hold

8. RTW

RTW Registered Member

Duct tape and zip ties! :haha:My rig had the same problem. I welded a plate over it, and it has held strong for yrs. Its even survived jumps.