Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cracked frame?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sikZ28, Mar 14, 2005.

1. sikZ28

sikZ28 1/2 ton status

hey all, i have found a 79 k5 for $300 and the question i have is this......up by the steering box it looks like the frame has been welded. if so, is the truck totally useless? or can it be welded and be worth a flip?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You can weld her up , add the bolt on brace and be allright . Mine was cracked and I didn't realize it , and the bolt on brace kept things nice and tight .

Just have someone whos good weld it if you have no skills yet . If you can weld good your golden :k5: :k5:

3. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

It depends on the welding job for one.. and just how bad the crack is for another. Most of the cracks that happen on the frame there are not bad... but can get worse. If the weld looks good, and it looks like the crack is not spread past the weld, or is not a major crack, then you can get the weld in brackets, and the bolt on brace, and I would imagine it would fine.

Are you happy with the rest of the Blazer? If so, then I would probably say go for it. If you're not sure about the quality of the weld, or the severity of the crack.. run it by a mechanic shop and let them look at it, and give you their opinion. If you can't get it there, maybe you could find someone to come look at it, where it's at.

Either way the crack can most likely be fixed... but of course a small crack is better to fix than one that has cracked time and time again because it was never fixed correctly to begin with.

Good luck.

4. sikZ28

sikZ28 1/2 ton status

well, i went ahead and bought it, the engine is worth at least that much.
    as for the crack it is up by the steering box. does any kind of brace come with a lift kit for the frame at that location because i was thinking of raising it anyway.

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Well you aren't going to find one that comes with your lift kit, but you can buy one at www.offroaddesign.com . I would weld it (if the crack is still growing), brace it, lift it, then wheel it.