Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cracked frame?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun89, Feb 4, 2006.

1. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

i know how a frame cracks and stuff, but i tightened all the bolts on my steering box then had a frame turn back and forth, i could see the box move around a realll small amount....i have 38" tires...could the frame just be flexing from the size of the tires or do you think it is cracked?:confused:

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

3. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

ya i know...i was stupid i only went wheeling once tooo...i didnt know it would happen that fast:(

4. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Make sure the steering box bolts are not just bottomed out on the steering box threads. Sometimes the bolts can bottom out on the threads before it completly tightens the steering box down to the frame, and cause you to think the steering box is tight, when it is not. Throw couple of flat washers on the bolts to shim them back a little, so they will not bottom out, and see if this works. THEN GET YOURSELF A STEERING BOX BRACE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Watch out for the same "bolts bottoming out" thing with a steering box brace as well. The best way to securly bolt a steering box to the frame is to drill out the bolt holes, and run a bolt all the way through it. Then put a nut and washer on it.

5. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

Ok ill try that, but thanks for putting up with my stupidity and thanks for the info :bow: