Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cracked hard top?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85HeartBurb, Sep 13, 2002.

1. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

What is the best way/material to use for a cracked hard top mine craked in the back where the two halves meet in the rear? any input would be great!!

2. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

If it is a gen 2 top they are a dime a dozen is if you only need 1 that is like free
    Ok to the point replace it you will be better off in the long run my .02
    /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

If it's for your '74, they are tuffer to find and almost all that I have seen are cracked, broken or at least "wiggly". My '74 is. Fiberglass mat and resin would be my recomendation, either buy some and give it a go or check with boat or 'Vette shops to have it done. Being a So Cal dude, you could just toss it a topless!!

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

There are two different topps that were used on the 73-75's the first is the very prone to cracking butted seam top. The other is the revised version where the seam from the roof section over laps the the sides by about a half inch. I think but I am not sure that the butted seam tops do not have the steel hoop in the rear either. I think the overlaped seam tops got the steel channel that's imbeded in the rear over the tail gate. the change over happend sometime in 74.
    That said I need to go cut the tree branch (about 20ft long) off my hard top to see if it's busted /forums/images/icons/frown.gif