Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cracked heads

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by schwinnd, Feb 18, 2002.

1. schwinnd

schwinnd 1/2 ton status

Just wondering what would cause the heads to crack. I thought I blew a head gasket but after I took the head off I found 3 cracks around the #5 exhaust valve, and when I took the other side off, the #4 exhaust valve had a nice crack in it also. I just bought some new heads for it which I'm about half done putting them on, but was just curious to know how that happens. Is it extreme heat? improper torque? what gives?

Thanks

Dave

Just collecting rusty mid-70's chevy's
    1976 Blazer, 1975 Vega SW

2. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

DO you have a heavy right foot.
    colin

Save the whales Harpoon a fat chick.

3. schwinnd

schwinnd 1/2 ton status

Oops, I forgot to list that as an option [​IMG]. I have only had the blazer about a year and its only been running about 5 months of that, but I've recently heard some history on it from a guy I work with who used to work for the guy I bought it from. Anyway, the son of the guy really abused it so I'm thinking that is where most of my problems are coming from.

thanks

Just collecting rusty mid-70's chevy's
    1976 Blazer, 1975 Vega SW

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Overheating, I think. Make sure you flush your cooling system when you get the new heads on, but it may just be from running it hot and/or lean too many times. I don't remember the cylinder positions by number, but I know the rear two (closest to the firewall) are usually the hottest.

Ratch
    CK5 album
    Your ad here.