Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cracked Rear Extension Housing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by msb350, Apr 1, 2005.

1. msb350

msb350 Registered Member

Hi guys. Recently pulled my NP241 to give it an inspection/reseal and I found out that my rear extension housing was cracked in two places. Both cracks were half way from the bolt hole and the housing so I basicly had only 2 bolt holding it on all along since the others were detached. What causes this?? I will need a new one and I hope they are not expensive. Thanks for the help.
    Matt

2. bigred81

bigred81 1/2 ton status

Two things over tighting the bolts or at some time in its life it was dropped on the tail housing. The tail housing will work off of left hand drop np 241. The piece that is broken is the one with the main bushing for tail shaft and the output shaft seal. If needed I have one that is off a np 241.

bigred81

3. msb350

msb350 Registered Member

Thanks. I have a friend that wants $30 for his plus it needs a new seal and bushing. Think thats too much?
    Matt

4. 95dodgecummins

95dodgecummins Newbie

I have the same thing with my rear extension housing 2 bolt holders broke off. I'm looking for a new housing. part # is C-16258 off a NP 241 HD. Also need a new output bearing retaining ring...

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

There is no "parts wanted" or parts "for sale" in the Garage. Use the classifieds here...

If my extension housing was cracked I'd just suck it up and go SYE right away. A bit spendy compared to another extension housing, but it isn't ever going to crack.

Rene