Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cracked starter bolt hole on 400sb-help!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Flipper, Oct 20, 2000.

1. Flipper

Flipper Registered Member

Last starter change out on the trusty 400 (75 vintage, no emmisions thank u) found outboard hole for starter craked
    up the side in the thread area (verticle in the threads) crap! I've heard of this but thought of urban legend only stories. All that porting and polishing on the heads, all the fun stuff, Edlebrock intake, roller rockers, ARP rod bolts carefully streatched to torque, I'm ready to break down here, really...
    Got stick welder and seen a little cast iron stick rod usage, should I?Then re tap? Or is welder pro really needed here? Cripes, wife will freak when loading this block in the Buick.

2. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

I'm not an expert but here are a couple of ideas.
    1. try an extracter for boken bolts, they are used with a drill, sears will have them, the home depot, etc. use plenty of wd-40 or liquid wrench.
    2. simply drill the bolt out with a size thats a little smaller..........hope this helps.......js

3. Flipper

I wish it were only a bolt, but it's the block "ear" for the starter that's cracked.

Who let the dogs out!!!!!!

4. mrivan

mrivan 1/2 ton status

your not going to weld that with a stick welder (A block soaks up heat like a giant sponge) ,sounds like a job for a real pro and it will probably have to be out of the truck ,what a bummer. I think you should treat yourself to a nice polished alum.pan while you got it out.
    Mrivan

Ford people loose their keys down the outhouse.........

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

similar problem happened with a 350 I had. the whole corner came off. had it fixed at a welding shop. He did it with the engine still in truck. towed it to his shop with the starter already out. the engine scattered later and the block still held up. I scraped the block. I'm sure it was unrelated.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Welding Cast iron is pretty finicky. Actually its a PITA! You need to do a fair bit of preheating and ideally it should be prevented from cooling too fast. I had to repair a cracked transfer case adaptor for my NP 205, and after pre-heating, welding and chipping I buried it in a big bucket of sand so it would cool more slowly. It is kinda ugly looking but its strong and does'nt leak.
    Oh yeah I'm sure you already knew but I thought I'd mention it anyways, you also need a special electrode, Ni-rod, for cast iron welding.
    If you trust your welding, weld it up and re-tap the hole, if your unsure of your welding, take it to a shop, that sounds like too good a motor to give up on!

Rene

[​IMG]

7. Flipper

Rusty, thanks for the starter info, feel much better.

8. Flipper

Blazer 73, Thanks for the good ending on starter area breakage, feel much better about welding/repair.