Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cracked Tcase/Tranny Adapter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Impex, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

First real 4x4 trip since ive done the 465 hydro conversion (way worth it). By the time i get home to look over my truck it was dark so i was using a flashlight looking over the drivetrain etc.. well i notice my front drive shaft was coated in oil

Front Shaft

and this is right after i got done resealing my 465/205 so i look into it further and notice that my frame rail is coated in oil probably from it slinging off the drive shaft cause i was in 4hi allot due to running allot in a wash/deep sand
    Frame Rail

so get looking and sure enough my adapter is cracked /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif right after i replaced it cause my old one i took out was cracked and leaking all over

what do you guys think i guess this is normal or happens allot with this tranny but what causes it i just replaced it with a LuK Rep Set Gold clutch (to strong??), is it from shifting to hard (causing jerking), should i get ORD motor mounts, (i already have poly tranny and poly motor mounts) now i did hit my front diff on a rock pretty hard did that cause it to shift and move my driveshaft and move my tcase which caused the crack?

think i can clean it with brake cleaner and use JB weld?? i was told you can't really weld that metal.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Nope no fixin' that. Time to find another adapter.

3. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Just out of curiousity, do you use gaskets on either end of the adapter or RTV? MJ had a theory that if the gasket was not used, then you would basically be cocking the adapter on the bearing retainer snapring on the 205. It looks as if it cracked right in the middle of the "figure 8" which tells me that maybe the bottom of the adapter was brought closer to the 205 which may have caused the crack. Just a theory though.

Also, the crack doesnt look that bad, so you could groove out the crack and have someone TIG weld it, but if it were me I would get another one and use that one as a spare.

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Do you have the side mount on the 205? If not find one because GM put those in looking to control torque on auto cases and manual adapters. I would replace it, and as stated above, TIG weld the old one for a temporary spare.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    now i did hit my front diff on a rock pretty hard did that cause it to shift and move my driveshaft and move my tcase which caused the crack?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Only way that could have caused it is if the suspension was at full compression, the driveshaft was "bottomed out", and that pushed the t-case back. I can't imagine that being very likely though, I think you'd have to bend something in the suspension for it to travel that far.

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

The odds of finding one of those in a wrecking yard would be pretty good /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

7. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

BlueBlazer62: No i didn't use a gasket but i did read/find that about what MJ posted a while back when i was searching when i was doing my conversion, i just ended up using The Right Stuff gasket maker stuff. maybe not using that gasket did cause it...?

az-k5: No i only have the mount that bushing connect to on the adapter piece, didn't know there was another. And to answer your PM i used to work at AZP30 now work at AZP05 /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

dyeager535: Ya i didn't even thinkg about my drive shaft having to collapse and bottom out before it did damage..DUH /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Corey 78K5: That or ill keep my eyes peeled on the sale fourm

8. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I believe the adapter is cast iron, Which can be welded. Not cheap though.Better off checking the local bone yard as these are pretty common.What kind of shape are your motor mounts in? You might be better off going to solid motor and tranny mounts......

9. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    think i can clean it with brake cleaner and use JB weld?? i was told you can't really weld that metal.

[/ QUOTE ]

That won't give you any strength...
    I've see them brazed before..it seems to work...
    but REPLACING it is the best idea..

The motor mounts..driveshaft angles..
    anything that causes stress to that adapter..
    will eat anouther one...
    so...grind that front c/v...for max angle... (maybe drop the t-case more)
    and new or poly motor mounts... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    now i did hit my front diff on a rock pretty hard did that cause it to shift and move my driveshaft and move my tcase which caused the crack?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Only way that could have caused it is if the suspension was at full compression, the driveshaft was "bottomed out", and that pushed the t-case back. I can't imagine that being very likely though, I think you'd have to bend something in the suspension for it to travel that far.

[/ QUOTE ]

My friend just lifted a 90 Z-71(straight axle swap) and found out the hard way that there was not enough slip on the front driveshaft at full compression,,the drive shaft stacked solid and broke the adaptor and the transfer case fell off the back of the transmission! check the slip yoke for marks where it may have stacked solid,,,

11. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]

dyeager535: Ya i didn't even thinkg about my drive shaft having to collapse and bottom out before it did damage..DUH /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

How much travel do you have in your driveshafts? front and rear?

12. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

LeadFoot: i had my driveshafts made local, i dropped the truck off and they did it all at the shop.

found the problem though, drive shaft did bottom out!!

shaft 1

shaft 2

now to fix the problem do i need to shorten the drive shaft (max it out and measure it) or run bumpstops?

13. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

I'd shorten the shaft. You might try going back to the shop that made the shafts. You probably won't get a new adapter and shaft but they might make a deal if you make a case that their shaft is what broke your adapter(s). They might even shorten the one you have for free?? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

I broke my adapter a couple weeks ago. I'm not sure how but I think it was when I got high-centered.
    [​IMG]
    I plan to make a crossmember to go behind the t-case to help support it better. I think all the weight of the case hanging from the adapter with nothing underneath to support it is part of the problem. I considered the mount that attaches to the pass side but my case doesn't have the holes for it.

Post in Parts Wanted if you can't find an adapter locally. I did and got several offers from $50 shipped to $100 /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif. I traded for mine, no out of pocket <font color="green"> $$$ </font> I even found a couple on ebay if that is yur kinda thing.

14. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    No i only have the mount that bushing connect to on the adapter piece, didn't know there was another.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is a pic of the side mount on the NP205:
    [​IMG]

Somebody needs to power-wash the underside of my Burb! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

<font color="orange"> Beast388 </font> : do you have threaded bolt holes on the side of your 205 right there, is that how it mounts?

16. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    <font color="orange"> Beast388 </font> : do you have threaded bolt holes on the side of your 205 right there, is that how it mounts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, there is a boss with two threaded holes for bolts. My set-up is 100% stock...cracked bushings and all! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif