Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cracking a k5 hard top

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bowtie4466, Oct 31, 2002.

1. bowtie4466

bowtie4466 Registered Member

Has anyone ever cracked a fiberglass hard top from flexing a lot? I am about to go on a wheeling trip in a couple of weeks and was wondering if i should worry about this. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Mine cracked in the rear corners. I have two cracks on the rear corner passenger side, and one crack in the drivers rear side.

About then the tailgate started to pop-out. My body kept flexing way too much. I put a bar between the upper bed-rails close to the tailgate to keep it together when it flexed.

Someday I will put in diagonals from the top of the bed rails to the floor.

Oh yeah, my tailgate cracked in the center too - from flex. I welded it up, and it cracked again! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Than again, I have a full top blazer.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I had a full top blazer and they had this weekness. Mine actually poped the rear glass because the sides opened up releasing the tail gate which shattered my rear glass.
    I made reinforcement by tying both ends of the sides with an angle iron bolted to one of the bolts of the top at each end. I also had the corners cracked from that.
    I never had any problems after I reinforced it though.
    Now I have a 76 with the half top and as you can see from the pics (click on my sig) it's really abused yet the top is still in good shape except a couple of bolts went through the base of the top because i didn't have the chrome plate on or large washers to ditribute the load.
    If you have the half top I wouldn't worry about it, but if you wnt to you can do the same setup as TopOFF and me, it should be better than nothing.

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I have busted my full top on my '74, but never had a problem with my '79. You'll probably be fine.

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Never had any problems w/ my '78 or '80, but my '73 has a 1/2 cab top made from a broken full top and I cracked it going up an RTI ramp.

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

My 74's top is coming apart at the back corners..... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

That was funny!. I need to send you the picture of that /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    Yep I cracked my 75 at the passenger side rear lower corner. Not bad but it's there. A lot of my flex problems when away when I installed a full cage. The cage did wonders for stiffening up the body.
    Never had a problem with the 79. It's held up just fine.

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I ran the hardtop on my '82 for years with no trouble. It would pop some when I was really twisted up but no cracking.

9. lt61173

lt61173 1/2 ton status

My 74's cracked at the top corners of both side in the back also.

10. transcore1

transcore1 Registered Member

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I don't know if the pics are online yet or not, but Greg did that this week end. The top actually poped off and out while he was flexing his muscles (rig)
    It's a 72.
    Be carefull, make some braces side to side, and make a full cage to stiffen the body, if you have a full top.
    If you have a half cab, then I guess the only time you will crack it is if you drop it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif