Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cracking down on street racing in Fla, THIS IS NUTS!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Pure Insanity, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I dont recall the exact details but basicly if you are caught street racing, you go to jail, get fines out the yazoo, lose your licence, and lose your ride! WTF! This is more harsh than a DUI!!! I got this info from the news and a Racing Club from Tampa message board I am a part of.

I dont condone street racing, we have plenty of Drag Strips in Fla, but this is ridiculous!

NOW heres the kicker, If you are caught as a spectator, you can be fined $500 for being there! AARRRRGGGHH! OK heres a thot...Your at a car show at Burger King for example, We do have weekly shows at some BK in Tampa, and some ricers decide to do a fly by, which they are know for, EVERYONE at the show could be fined!

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

There cracking down up in Oakland CA to.. They are trying to pass a law that if you are caught racing they will confiscate your car and impound it for 30 days.. Then you have to pay storage for the 30 days and towing fees.. Could be up to $1500.00...Dan

3. Pure Insanity

Thats pretty similar to what they are doing here. By the time your done, the fast take off at the lite, not even a race, could run you thousands! Thats provided you can afford the towing and storage, so there goes your car too. Makes me glad I changed my mind about selling PI and getting a Z28. I dont street race, but I wouldnt want to be a target either. Makes the harassment Ill get in PI for its height, look like a better option.

4. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

... what's your point? Traffic laws are there for a reason. Think about it.

Guilt by association is WRONG though. Does the word 'unconstitutional' come to mind? Does for me.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

We've had so many kids killed here racing lately they have made some drastic changes to the way it's handled if you're caught.
    They can now suspend your license on the spot for up to a year and are working on 90 day impound plus fines.

Just yesterday there were 5 people killed in two separate accidents. One was a carload of kids racing to beat a train at a level crossing. The driver was apparently so focussed on the train he blew through a stop sign and they were hit broadside by a tractor trailer. 3 out of the 4 kids were killed at the scene...the driver survived.
    The same day but 90 miles away a Firebird doing way over the limit lost it on a bridge an hit a Tractor trailer head on. Driver was killed instantly and the semi went over the side of the bridge and dropped into the river. Driver of the semi presumed dead.
    A month ago another couple of kids were killed during a street race as the one car hit a lamp standard...The last 6 months to a year there have been probably 10-12 people killed during street racing here. I don't get the feeling a quick jump from a light will get your license suspended...but to be honest something more had to be done.

Rene

6. Pure Insanity

I have no problem w/ being ticketed at all. But the penalty is worse than a DUI. I could see the punishment being something like this if you are a habitual offender, but this is crazy IMO. Thats all. Just my opinion here but I would think this will make people run. Some do now, but most just take their ticket and get it over. I just think this is harsh for a 1st time offender. If you get caught a 2nd time, then thats more reasonable.

Honestly I hope this does deter street racing. It is getting out of hand. Fast and Furious didnt help matters any, thats for sure.

7. Pure Insanity

I agree Rene. Something had to be done. I dont know how it is in Canada but F&F seemed to make street racing ok to people. It used to be just guys in their 20-30 street racing on a secluded back road, but now we have kids w/ all the bolt ons and NAWZ (damn I hate that term) hitting the street that have had their licence 6 months. They dont know how to handle a stock Honda, much less a Honda pulling 3-400 horses, and they act up everywhere.

I live about 300 yards from the high school parking lot and have to see this everyday leaving for work. Its flat out scary. BUT I still think the penalty is too harsh.

8. gokartergo

I'm 39 years old. So my street racing days are over. And I agree something needs to be done. But my dad was a street racer..People are always going to race.. They just need to make places to do it . My dad told me stories that they used to shut down the airport once a month for racing.Then somebody got hurt and that was it... ...Dan

9. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Go to Milpitas it's the worst......If you are caught just driving on certain street's. You go to jail and lose your ride for a month! No question's asked!

10. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

They are trying to that that here too. I go to the races every now and then with my friend that has a bad ass Z28, and there are definately some people that don't belong there. Too many people watching - which is OK - but they get in the way, and don't know how to drive. Also too many people bringing guns. I've driven there myself a few times, but only to watch, and I stay in a praking lot and out of the way of the races and its I've never had a problem. Its the people who don't watch whats going on around them that cause trouble, when they pull out onto the road without looking or try to trun around on a 2 lane road or something like that. I think that spectator fine is BS, but I've never known anyone that has gotten one. Usually the cops just come to break everything up, and catch the people racing, not really the spectators...I've ben told to leave before by the cops and I did. I think if you aren't a dumbass it can be FAIRLY safe...considered its street racing.

11. Pure Insanity

I used to street race myself. Those days ended about 10 yrs ago. When Sandi and I had kids it put blowing by a minivan at 130 into perspective. It was just flat out stupid. For the most part I would lead to a secluded spot in the country, that had no side roads, or anywhere to pull out, make a slow pass to make sure noone was around then blast back up. Either way you slice it, it was dumb.

As a side note we had a guy from Tampa that was going to invest 10 mil. of his money into the little town south of me to build a sweet drag strip. The residents of the town, that most of which were not permanent residents of the town, (snowbirds) got the plan killed. But they still bitch about "drag racers".

There is BIG money in the street races in and around Tampa, I have heard of 2-5000 a race, cars being trailered in. Its unreal. When the news did a big series on it, 90% of what was there was rice. I guess they couldnt find the "big dogs". The Club in Tampa that I am on the boards of doesnt condone street racing either. They get together and travel to local tracks a few times a week, dyno and such. These people are serious, real, racers, one guy has a 450 plus horse BMW M3, another has a 670 somethin horse 4th gen. Camaro.

12. Pure Insanity

These were just passed this week. The spectator fine is a problem waiting to happen IMO. Well see how long that lasts.

As I said above I hope this does cut down on the racing, but I still think its harsh.

13. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> Instead of posting a big write up on this, I'll agree with rene on this one ........ I don't really agree witht he bystander portion though. Too many people are killed and/or hurt badly because of steet racing ! I think there are better ways to compete each others cars !

14. Pure Insanity

Yeah there are, take it to the track. This is Fla, we have tracks fairly easy to get to and they are open yr round.

15. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue>bingo !

16. gokartergo

Not in Calif...Dan

17. Pure Insanity

Tracks arent open yr round in Cal.?? I figured they would be. Tracks only close for rain here. Well Orlando Speed World got shut down a few weeks ago when a Pro 5.0 racer got killed at Fun Ford Weekend. They should have shut it down before he got killed tho, we had BAD wind that weekend, and he lost control at like 150. I seen video of it and it was nasty. He took flight turned sideways and landed in front of the other guy and got tboned. Flew again, landed rolled then blew up. Bad Bad wreck.

18. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

They just started this here too. same thing with the spectaters.
    I do get tired of seeing on the news how some punk wiped out a car load of kids or a mom and kids.
    If nailing the spectators is a part then so be it, if no one shows up then maybe it will go away.
    I have done some street racing when I was younger but not like it is today.
    Do people still race down the Howard Franklin bridge?
    That was a blast when I lived there 4 years ago.
    Stupid but it was fun.
    I had a 73 T/A and had no problems keeping up with Vipers and such.
    160 mph speedo and I had it buried more than once.
    I realy miss that car.

19. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

here in kansas city we had (key word is [bold]HAD[/bold]) a drag strip that alot of kids went to.. Well the local yuppity yups dont like it and guess what... They got the strip closed down. They are also the same people that complain about street racing. The people responsiable for shutting it down also own alot of other things here in kansas city, like kemper arena, hold a LARGE portion of stock in UMB bank, etc... They are complaining about noise levels at first and the strip passed the noise laws with plenty of room to spare, they complained about how the buildings where set up on the strip and the owner of the strip put up other building that took care of the problem, Now they are after him because his parking lot isnt paved, This track has been in kansas city for over 30 years and now it is gone..
    What some of these people dont understand is that the closest track now is over 100 miles away and even if you drive there you cant race on it. (Heartland drag strip in Topeka, ks.) So guess what going to start to rise around here now.. And they think the race track was a problem to them.. they got another thing coming now..

I just wish some people would use there head before getting places like this shut down...

Oh yea... i agree with alot of you.. Street racing isnt a good thing at all, People get hurt, but fining bystanders is stupid and illegal....

20. The_Sandman_454

The_Sandman_454 1/2 ton status

Why exactly is fining bystanders stupid and illegal? If you go to a cockfight (roosters you sick SOB's LOL) or dogfight I do believe the bystanders can get busted. So why should it be so crazy and illegal to bust bystanders of another *MORE DANGEROUS* form of illegal activity?

I think DUI should be *HARSHER* than that. Get caught DUI, lose car, all driving privellages and perhaps anything else that could be taken. Why? It's dangerous. If someone wants to kill themselves, then fine by me... I just don't want somebody driving a missile down the road who cannot control it. It's stupid to do...

If you want to race, go to the drag strip. Otherwise face the consequences. What if you race and kill somebody? I think that should be treated exactly the same as holding a gun to somebody's head and cycling the trigger...

People have *GOT* to take responsibility for their actions... If this is what's needed to get them to do so, then so be it...