Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cracking Frame? Steering box

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigBurban350, Dec 16, 2002.

1. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Has anybody had any problems with the frame cracking at the steering box? If so, were you running a lift w/ large tires? /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

This is a very common problem on these 4x4 trucks, stock or lifted.
    There are many different aftermarket fixes. A weld-on plate, or my favorite the ORD steering brace with ties the back two bolts of the gear box to the center section.
    http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/steeringkit.htm

BlazerMan

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The best solution is to run both the weld on plate/repair kit and the ORD steering brace.

Rene

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

if you do any work on the frame yourself make sure you stitch weld it if you weld it.
    the idiots that owned the wifes jimmy before i did welded the he!! out of the frame and caused it to crack even worse.
    Grant

5. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Don't wait to repair it, it will only get worse. When I noticed mine the frame was split all the way up the bottom and the side. I took a piece of 1/2" plate steel and cut it to fit, welded the frame back, bolted the plate in, and drilled a couple of holes thru the frame and plate so I could add some grade 8 bolts. So now I have the 4 bolts that hold the steering box to the frame, 2 3/8 bolts, and a couple of spot welds holding the plate in place. It's one of the few things that I can say I will never have a problem with again /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif.