Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crackloc, Powerloc, or weld the 60?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Mar 12, 2002.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Don't have the $$$ for a Detroit, nor do I want to have issues turning on dry ground in 4wd. Do I buy a trakloc, powerloc, or weld this thing? Just wondering what everyone does with their 60's...

2. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

If you want to turn, don't weld it! I have an ARB, and since it is in effect a spool when locked, I know how bad the turning can be if you don't unlock it. Any tight limited slip or locker is gonna be harder to turn than an open, it's just a fact that you will have to live with (unless you save up for the ARB or Ox locker, etc which can be "turned off" when turning). You're also stressing the front components a lot when turning, which can be very hard on parts when everything is locked together and looking for a way to "release"! That's why I stand by my ARB and its higher cost - it will probably save me more money in the long run...but that's just my opinion.

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

If you don't want issues while turning on dry ground then welding is definitely out of the question.

I have never been impressed with the performance of the Trac-loks in serious off-road conditions, they just are not positive enough in most applications (I think they can be tweaked somewhat to be more positive) but they are better than an open diff and provide okay traction on the street and on flat ground (wet grass, shallow mud, etc...).......but not worth the money in my opinion.

Never used a Power-lok, but have heard they are much more positive than the Trac-lok. I still think it would be limited if you are in to twisted up wheeling when one front tire might be off the ground.

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

detroits for a 60 are pretty common
    cant you get one from a rear ap and change side gears? never priced it myself but that is what i had to do to get the powerlok in

what are you willing to pay for a powerlok?
    I might want to go detroit up front
    for on the cheap stuff a lock rite in it