Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cracks around tailgate handle

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by trailblazr81, Aug 5, 2005.

1. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

My 73 K20 has 4 cracks coming from the tailgate handle. Is this a common problem? Comments? Suggestions? I guess if I really want to I can grind, weld, and grind some more then paint. I'll probly just take a trip to the Boneyard sometime.

2. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

i think my 73' k5 has cracks also, im going to run my tailgate off my 89' crewcab on my k5 anyways so it does'nt matter to me if the 73' window gate is or not. my crew gate has no cracks. i do think it is a common problem though. i will buy a new gate for my crew thad doesent have the tailgate lights on the gate. i will fill the light holes in the gate for the k5.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

it happens ive seen it many times, ive even seen it where the handle sheetmetal area is pulled out a little too, its crazy, i dont know how ppl manage to do things like this, but they find a way, they are rough, maybe its from yanking on gate thats frozen, etc., since no one ever oils them- or hoods or doors,,, etc.

the fix would be to slightly V-grind the cracks and weld fill them and grind smooth and go from there

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Is the handle itself cracked, or the sheetmetal of the tailgate cracked? I see cracked broken handles all the time. Only good way to fix those is the get a new one, and when you taking everything out to replace it, get some new innards and grease everything up.
    If the sheetmetal is cracking, do what the other just said, vgrind it, and weld, grind, fill, sand, paint.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

:confused:

i assumed sheetmetal cracks since he said grind weld paint

in which would be the way to go about it, or find another gate,

dunno

good luck :D