Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cracks in Tires - OK?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rich, Mar 13, 2001.

1. rich

rich 1/2 ton status

I'm looking at some 44" Ground Hawg tires that are for sale. They are at least 6 years old, but have been used very little, so the tread is great. My question is about cracking. All the sidewalls have cracks on them, the kind that come from weather and age. I know this could be a problem, but I also know that these tires are really thick. I don't want to get these tires if they're just going to come apart or leak air.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks!

Richard
    Raleigh, NC
    '90 K-5 Blazer - stock, daily driver
    '76 K-5 Blazer - 14-bolt FF, 4.10's, locked front and rear, 36's, SM465/NP205

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

because we can't see them to tell how bad the cracks are just ask the guy if you can take one to a local tire shop and see what they say about the cracks pic the one that looks the worst to you hope this helps

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud [​IMG]

3. rich

rich 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the reply.

The cracks are actually pretty big. Not lots of small cracks, but several big cracks in the sidewall. Each tire has a crack that runs all the way around the sidewall (a big circle). Then there are some shorter cracks that seem deep, running diagonally near the edge of the tread.

The more I think about it, the worse it seems, and I think I'm going to have to pass them up.

Richard
    Raleigh, NC
    '90 K-5 Blazer - stock, daily driver
    '76 K-5 Blazer - 14-bolt FF, 4.10's, locked front and rear, 36's, SM465/NP205

4. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    I would pass on those[​IMG]
    sounds like "dry rot", they could come apart in 5,000 or 5 miles you never know.
    But especially when you blead down air pressure, those cracks will open right up[​IMG]

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!

5. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't buy them for more than $10 each.

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".