Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Craftsman fell in the toilet

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by garlicbreath, Apr 15, 2006.

1. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

So who else thinks craftsman tools quality has gone down the drain in the last few years? I noticed their "rebuilt" ratchets die 3 times as fast. Anything with a moving part seems to suck lately. Wrenches, sockets etc seem to be ok. Oh wait, maybe thats because those are the same ones I bought 6 years ago. Has anyone bought their tools recently and had issues with breakage or crappy warranty service?

2. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

I havent bought any craftsman tools in a while as well so I can't judge their newer ratchets, but I wouldnt buy any rebuilt tools anway. Now their powertools is a whole different story :) I think their power tools in the last 10 years are pieces of crap.

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

with the ratchets, when you break the original, you arent given a choice. you always get a reman, unless they're out of them.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Ratchets are junk!!

I've bought 3 ratchets back to Sears ,2 were brand new out of the tool kits I just got too!--skipped the very first time I used them!..the other one was one I had since high school,and it still worked better than the "new" POS ratchets they sell now..the old one had a steel reversing lever,the new ones had a brittle plastic lever on them,one tore off easily when it caught on something..

I'm not sure if its because Sears bought K Mart,and is selling China crap now,or what..but I'm never buying their ratchets again..ones I just had replaced in january were no better than the defective ones I traded in!..I'm going to try Home Depot's "Husky" brand,and see how cheesy they are!--I have a friend who works there,says they will trade Craftsman for Husky..I think I'm going to see if he can actually do that,and swap them..

I bet Sears will never be like it was when I was younger..since about 1985, their merchandise is getting more crappy all the time,especially tools,and lawn and garden equipment...

5. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

:angry1: I work there---and it is going downhill. the only thing im gonna miss is the super closeout prices that I find in the back thats going to the crusher if it dosnt get sold. Sears as a corporation dosn't care about its employees or its customers. All they want is money---im not saying that because im an angry employee but because the CEO and next man down said it in a politically correct way:angry1:

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

That's all any corporation run by "MBA" drones ever cares about. That's specifically what they are taught in school as "the one true way". The customer and employee only "count" as far as they contribute to the "maximum profit" and "maximum return" curves. Problem is, the only way you can even get a rough estimation on those inputs is for short term cause/effect, and even that is VERY muddy. This is *part* (and only part) of the reason these SOBs (the only thing on the planet worse than lawyers and politicians IMO) consider 6 months “long term” and really only worry about the next quarter. Their limited understanding of cause/effect relative to customer/employee satisfaction and quality/value says that if they do only the bare minimum to keep things above the flashing red danger level, that this will yield the maximum short term returns. Gutting infrastructure (not only in terms of skills, equipment, but also customer loyalty and business inertia) and using “smoke and mirrors” in order to push the quarterly reports over some arbitrary goal to get the their “performance” bonus is considered not only an acceptable practice, but even ENCOURAGED by the all mighty Board of Directors.

And that as far as their short sited view goes...

In short, given an even cursory understanding of these “educated to be managers with no values learned in the market” makes it completely obvious and predictable how these things are going to turn out. That’s why you see powerhouses that grow to dominate markets built by people who generally understand (and built) things from the bottom up. Then they go public, or second generation “born at the top” nepotism comes in. Those that “know” are replaced with the MBAs educated ONLY to “lead and maximize profits” by “the board” (or the second/third generation incompetents who don’t want to work and don’t know how to run Dad’s/Grandpa’s business). Often times the inertia and merger/acquisition shuffling appears to carry the company to greater hights than ever before. But eventually, that inertia fails, and nothing other than a shell is left to collapse on itself. Dodge was there before the Fed buy out followed by DC, Ford and GM are on the cusp if not already headed down, and you can add pretty much any mega corp care to name (and most all large corps) to that list...

Sorry, hit a nerve. I've worked for small companies that were "rocking the market" when run by those with vision. Then they get bought by mega corps and all that value is as if it never existed by the time the MBAs get through with it...

7. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Craftsman does suck ass now. We just bought a new 33 gallon compressor, when I got it home the gauge for the regulator valve wasnt working. No big deal take it back, well the second one they rolled out was a joke. The box was all beat up and had string half assed tied aroung it, I told them to open the box up and sure as sh*t the motor was completely detached from the tank. Looked like the thing had been air dropped from a plane. The third one I got was good, well see how long it lasts. Then my friend just bought one of their roll aways. Came with top, bottom, and intermediate box. When we opened it up the damn drawers on the top box were all out of wack, none lined up for ****. However if you get the polished ratchets or the thin profile ones they are pretty nice, but the regular ratchets are crap.

8. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

I too wondered about that crap. whats up with that. Stupid Sears.

9. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

what yall just now finally noticed craftsman went ot total hell

black and decker has been holding up alot better than the later craftsman crap has been

bob vila did it

j/k

craftscrap

i go with anything but

good luck

10. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

hhhhmmmmmmm.......... and people still think im crazy for insisting on snap-on, mac and matco...:rolleyes: :dunno:

11. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

when i go get my ratched replaced, i never get a reman, always a new one. but i have to send it in and wait a few days. i went into the big store at the mall and they had the reman ratchets hanging near the cashier. go to a small store and wait 3 days.

12. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Actually it's worse; it was the other way around. K-Mart bought Sears...

13. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Been right there with ya... :wink1: Tho I appreciate a good deal, I appreciate quality more... My tools get pushed to the limit daily...

Thing is, Craftsmen ain't as cheap as it used to be, prices have definitely come up on them...

14. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I used to work there and I totally agree the best thing about working there was when something was in the back about ready to "go zero" Painted the whole inside of my house for 8 bucks (13 gals of paint) got a nice polished wrench set for .99 cents

15. garlicbreath

You can insist on a new ratchet. You just have to get the store managers number, and then ask him for the district manager if he doesnt give you what you want.

16. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

I agree 100% I bought a socket set last year and my 3/8 and 1/2" ratchets were loose on the inside when I got them. I had to replace the 3/8 last fall. They gave me a new one, but it had so much play it wasn't funny. I dug through the rack until I found the tightest one they had.

Rick

17. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

All I buy is Craftsman. It helps to have a Sears Hardware store about 4miles from my house! I have returned quite a few ratchets and every time I do I just take a new one off the shelf. The way I see it, they are cheaper than Snap-On, and I just return it when it breaks...

18. garlicbreath

I do the same thing. I have at least 2 of every ratchet so I never have any downtime. Few things suck more than being almost done with a project on a sunday afternoon and breaking tools, with nothing open to exchange them.

19. 1967k10

1967k10 1/2 ton status

Have you noticed how the newer deep sockets break like a POS. Those rebuild kits pi$$ me off. I got a few of them,now they seem to be giving new ones again. My Snap-On holds up much better than all my Craftsman's have. Cost as much as 5 Craftsman's though :rolleyes: . I do like the Premium or Polished ratchets though.They are a lot better. I'll keep buying as long as I keep getting free tools I guess :D .

20. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

I have a 3/4" ratchet/socket set thats way awesome and I got it at a killer price.