Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Craftsman rachet wrenches

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scoutillac, May 5, 2004.

1. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

Those new rachet wrenches are the poopy. I use the hell out of them. What do you guys think of them. My 9/16 sticks once in awhile, but hey it's a Craftsman. I can break it and get another one free. How sweet is that. I just need a metric set since my truck has both metric and standard bolts. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I like mine, my dad has a set that arent offset and dont have the switch, i dont like them as much.

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I liked em before some *&^%$#@@$#$%&^**&&^^%%$#@@#$%^%&^*&&^%$## type of a *&&^^%$#@#$%$^%&*&*^%$#@@$#%^&**ass stole them awhile back. I never had a prollem with them and I put as much torque on them as my arms and hands could make.

Good luck to y'all in the future.

Allan

4. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

I got the Gearwrench brand from ACE when they first came out,great for tight spots. I would not be without them now. I noticed the other day that Cresent tool also makes a set that has a button switch on them to reverse them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Guy across the street has some that don't have the lever to reverse them...he started undoing a bolt behind a pulley, and didn't stop until AFTER he realized the bolt was too long, and since the wrench was up against the pulley, he was screwed lol.

Another handy wrench that I miss (RIP, it's in another friends C30 exhaust pipe now) was a craftsman stubby box 12 point 1/2 & 9/16" combo. Slight angle to the ends, you could pull the bellhousing bolts easily with it. One just like that, which ratchets would be nice though... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Are you talking about the ratcheting box ends? If so, they rock out! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. scoutillac

YEP! the ones with the flip switch just like a standard rachet. They are pretty and chrome. A little tool box BLING!!

8. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Yeah, that's awesome. I wish I had waited a little longer to get those kind instead of the ones where you just flip them over to reverse the rotation. Either way, they come in handy really often /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

they are the [darn]. I have broken a 9/16ths already but hey it happens, went to Sears Hardware, they replaced it no questions. My uncle has Gear Wrench ones, he swears the Craftsman ones are the same as Gear Wrench but I don't know I like our Craftsman ones better.

10. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Guy across the street has some that don't have the lever to reverse them...he started undoing a bolt behind a pulley, and didn't stop until AFTER he realized the bolt was too long, and since the wrench was up against the pulley, he was screwed lol.

[/ QUOTE ] Yep been there, done that w/ my dads /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

11. gm guy

gm guy 1/2 ton status

Vancouver Island but work in Ft Mcmurray Alberta C
    I've been there too! dyeager, how did the tool get in the exhaust?

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Another handy wrench that I miss (RIP, it's in another friends C30 exhaust pipe now) was a craftsman stubby box 12 point 1/2 & 9/16" combo. Slight angle to the ends, you could pull the bellhousing bolts easily with it. One just like that, which ratchets would be nice though... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    The 9/16ths ratchet wrench is godly when it comes to bellhousing bolts. First time I remove a trans after getting them, I just smiled the whole time, remember the days of, turn a little, pull the wrench off, put it back on, turn a little more.

13. scoutillac

I just use a swivel and really long extension for bell housing bolts. Yeah I remember banging my knuckles on the firewall seam trying to get down in there before I got smart. A little grease goes a long way as a coagulator.

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Uhh, long story short, decided to swap from 350 to 305 since 305 was handy and ran great, 350 was shot. 12 hours later, finishing up tightening the bellhousing bolts from up top, wrench slips out of my hand, exhaust pipe isn't bolted up yet, wrench just happens to center itself perfectly in the exhaust pipe and klink klink, it's made it's way around the 90* bend at the bottom of the downpipe. Can't get a coathanger around a bend like that (not after a 12 hour engine swap anyway) although I tried for 15 minutes or so.

Figured the tool wasn't worth more of my time, so there it stays. Last I heard though it made it's way to the muffler...it rattled for a bit, then stopped, so friend figured that's where it had to end up lol.

One good thing about vehicles with cat. converters. If you can unbolt it, you can get anything that falls down pretty easily. For some reason that was a common occurrence on my Oldsmobile, but it was this one bolt every time. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

15. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

craftsman=lifetime....store exchange
    gearwrench= 1 year or so and YOU have to send them back ... sears doesnt do the exchange

16. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Gear wrenchs rock..
    Just get the ones that have a reverse tab on em.
    As stated if ya go to far yer screwed.
    I have a set of standard and metric Blackhawks.
    The flex head ones are realy handy.

17. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I've got the flex head ones Blackhawk SAE & Gearwrench Metric. They are awsome. Nothing better for getting the vaccuume boster off.

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Aren't the Sears ones made in China?

I have a set of Craftsman stubbies that I really like for tight places. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

We've got the snap on ones. Dad bought them back in the day. They are at least 10-15 years old and I use the 3/4" one to do body mounts in the back /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Then when I remember we have them or I can't get a socket on something I use them. Pretty decent tool to have a around, just in case.

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Are the craftsman ones made in USA or china?