Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Craftsman Tool Help Immediately!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by clubba68, Nov 29, 2003.

1. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

I am going to be picking up a set of Craftsman tools today (last day of sale) and was wondering from you guys what would be the best starter kit to pick up. All I have is cheap tools right now and need a nice set that has pretty much everything I need in it for a reasonable price <$200 range. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    Thanks,
    Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

with what you said. let common sense take over, get the largest set you can that includes, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2" drives, wrenches, allen keys etc, screwdrivers and the like..

3. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    with what you said. let common sense take over, get the largest set you can that includes, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2" drives, wrenches, allen keys etc, screwdrivers and the like..

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, what he said.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, what he said.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    yeah, and what he said too! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, hey get me a 1/2" clicker torque wrench while you're out? thanks pal, i appreciate it, really do /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The 248 piece set is a great starter set of tools. This weekend it's on sale for $149.99, 50% off the regular price! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

There are a LOT of sockets in that set, so you might want to look at the clip-on socket holders. That's how I keep mine in order. I found that the ones with the handle on the end won't fit in most tool boxes. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I think it is like the 215 piece set, that will you get you a good start.

Keep going back for the extra's when you do not have something. I always buy instead of borrow when I do not have something. When I am about 80, then I might have it all....

7. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Yeah I got that same set last year for the same price. Heck of a deal /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status

I picked up the 173 piece set for $99. Fewer sockets and wrenches, but still a good deal. 50% off MSRP.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

I just got the 60 piece mechanic set for $29.99 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I'm just gonna add a couple peices and keep it in my truck for roadside fixes and pick-n-pull trips.

10. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

I was looking at a craftsman set up here, $199 for 199 tool set, but instead of regular wrenches it has accelerator wrenches. Are these any good? I had never seen them before.

11. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I jsut bought a 253piece set in a plastic case for $179. Had 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 drives all sorts of crap like screw driver and bits and sockets for it, a very large selection of allen wrenches, torx socket set, and wrenches up to 7/8 I also bought a humangous set of channel locks and wrenches from 15/16-1 1/4 (i think) well worth it. I had a competent set of tools now. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

my recomendation....before you spend the time and put all 200 and some sockets/wreches/allens into the plastic case, through the plastic case in the garbage and buy a real tool box. it will be worth it in the long run.

13. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Or you could be really cheap and just buy 1 each 1/2" and 9/16" wrenches and the same size sockets with short and long extension because with a K5 that is almost exclusively what you will use /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif