Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

craigslist.. I smell a rat *THIRD EMAIL... see first post LOL*

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 78Suburban, Jul 25, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Alright guys, I posted up this ad on craigslist hoping to sell my street tires that came on the burb. http://atlanta.craigslist.org/pts/185819971.html

Within a few hours I get the following email

"Hello,
    I want to know if the item is still up for sale.
    I will be responsible for the shipment down to my
    location,
    My offer is $250.
    So get back to me if the offer is ok by you
    Regards"

I reply back saying I'll take him up on his offer and ask where he's located... get this email

"Thanks for getting back to me,am currently in united kingdom.I want to ship the item down here, there won't be any problem about the shipment.before i proceed i will like to know the current condition of the item and i will also appreciate it if you can send me some pictures of the item. my broker will contact you as soon as payment was made and confirmed.Get back to me ASAP."

Just got ANOTHER email.. check out this hilarious crap!!!

"Okay this is what am going to do in term of payment,I have a client in the state who is owing me some money,i will instruct him to makeout a money order or cashier's check to you in the amount is owing me and as soon as you get the payment cashed,you will deduct your money and you will handover my balance to my shipping broker at the time of pickup or you will send it to them.I think this payment method is okay by you.so get back to me with your contact information ASAP because i also have some other goods to pickup in the state. get back to me with your contact info for payment processing.

Thank you
    Marion"

this is getting hilarious.. now I'm debating one telling him either that I need a phone number, I want to meet his broker, or that his broker must give me cash. what should I do next? the 1812 thing is sounding good, but I would really like to get a phone number on this guy.

I know there are alot of scammers that feed off of craigslist. If the fellow gets me payment with a money order or pay pal, and I have the money in my hands, and has a decent way for me to ship them across the globe, then I'll certainly sell to the uk dude, but does anybody else smell a big ol rat?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2006
  2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Yup. When we were trying to sell Jenn's laptop we got those quite often.

3. 78Suburban

any from the creepy uk dude? How would he pull something like that off, make a phony bank transfer and have his "broker" meet me to pick up the tires? maybe a few buddies and I should meet up with this broker if it turns out to be phony.. have a southern style beatdown :crazy: .... I'll just keep on emailing him and see what he has to say, but I sure don't wanna get took... who scams for 16.5" tires, lol :laugh:

4. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

It's almost undoubtadely someone from around you. You honestly think they don't have tires in England?:haha:

I so funny.

5. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you look at the top of your sale post on craigslist, you'll see a yellow box saying Avoid scams & frauds by dealing locally. If you open the link and read towards the bottom you will find almost a carbon copy of the response you got.

6. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Any time someone replies with the tired old "contact my broker" line, you know it is a scam.

7. 78Suburban

yeah.. I'm sure its a scam, but boy, what a retard.. I don't get that, this guy must be a realy idiot.. the UK.. lol.. I'll tell him his "broker" must give me cash in my hands in a wal mart parking lot, or no dealio... But yeah, I'm almost 100% sure its a scam, I think I'll email him some more just to see what a retard he is... Why would somebody be such a crook, it pisses me off that somebody wants to take advantage of me like that, and just for some dang tires... if they were just honest I'd probably sell them pretty cheap :mad:

maybe I can get a phone number, and wenzel his arse for the fun of it :haha: :doah:

8. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

its a scam contact someone and keep it going try to catch the bastard

9. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

SCAM!!
    By the way, I would like to transfer $40,000,000 from my Nigerian account to your account for safe keeping. You can keep all the interest for 10 years my friend. Give me your bank account details and pass code so I can make the transfer.
    Oh, and how much for your daughter?

Scammers.....must think they were the first to think of it!:rolleyes:

10. 78Suburban

who do I contact? I would love to catch him. I might have scared him off saying I want pay pal or a money order.

11. southernspeed

Listen old chap, we don't have 'tires' over here. We much prefer 'tyres'. We find they work so much better.

Any one for tennis ?:D

12. 78Suburban

How simply dreadful! :doah:

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

tell him that your great great great great great great grandfather was killed in the War of 1812 and that because of that you'll only accept cash from any buyers from England.

Ohhh what I'd give to see the look on the scammers stupified face...

j

14. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

I just had a car listed on there. Got a few of those emails. I just deleted them as they are not worth my time to even play with.

BTW, why does he need pics? They're already on the listing. :rolleyes:

15. jekbrown

probably trying to make himself look like a truly interested buyer with the whole "send me some pics!" thing.

j

16. 78Suburban

yeah, another funny thing, he asked "are they still avalible, when I posted them a total of three hours before"!!

I just may try the War of 1812 thing Jek, :D . Gonna try to play along and get his "broker's" phone number, so we can talk first though :thinking:

17. southernspeed

Absolutely aweful dahhhling!:D

Hey, ......don't mention the war!:rolleyes: :D

18. jekbrown

19. 78Suburban

Git-R-Done :pimp:

20. jekbrown

yeah, its up to you. Either **** with 'em about 1812 or play along, get some info / the "money order" and turn it over to the five-o or whoever deals with 'net fraud.

I bet these clowns send out a lot of MOs... maybe you should just accept the guys deal, deposite the MO and never talk to the guy again. Who knows, maybe with the thousands of scams this clown has running he'll forget about ya. :grin: It would cost $, but it'd almost be worth it to take a big azz pile of horse crap or something, wrap it up in a bag and put it in a big box and send that to the guy.

j