Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cramming a 700R4 into a NP203

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SouthernThunder, Dec 27, 2002.

1. SouthernThunder

SouthernThunder Newbie

I have a NP203 and 350 turbo in my 76 1/2 ton. I run a small tranny business and have about a million 700R4s laying around and would like to stick one on the NP203. I am aware that the outputshaft is too long to fit all the way into the 203. I also know that Advanced Adapters sells a very very expensive 4x4 outputshaft that is fairly simple to put in, but, as mentioned above, is very very expensive. I am also aware that some places sell a 2-1/8" spacer that can be bolter in betwix that tcase and tranny. This spacer is quite a bit cheaper than the shaft. (but since I am a poor old hillbilly, Im looking for something that wount cost me hardly anything) I would like to know if anyone has ever just cut the output shaft down on a 700R4 to fit the transfer case. I have done this with THM350s that were non4x4 but they also have quite a bit more splined area. If you do this on a 700R4 how much grip does this give the splines? About 1/2 in? Ya think 1/2" is enough to work with? Thanks for any help and input guys. I like this board already! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Shafts the way to go. Might even keep the length right were you wouldn't have to mess with the drive shafts.
    Check with Stephen at www.offroaddesign.com He might be able to get you a better price on the shaft.
    Please fill out your bio
    Welcome to Ck5.

3. SouthernThunder

SouthernThunder Newbie

Howdy Grim! Thanks for the reply. I would like to install the 4x4 shaft but unless they can sell it to me for less than $20 I'd rather try and see if I can cut the shaft I got and spend my vast and bountifull fortune /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif on getting the driveshafts lengthend/shortend. Anyone done it the way Im planning on doing it mentioned in my first post?

4. K5BLT4FUN

K5BLT4FUN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have not done what you are describing to do. I have installed the AA shaft in my 700R4 to go to a NP205. I have seen a spacer used, but have only seen one in a 1-5/8" thickness. It was purchased from an Transmission Parts house. The general room of thumb for spline engagment is 1-1/2 times the diameter of the shaft. I hope this info helps.

5. SouthernThunder

SouthernThunder Newbie

Thats some valuable info on spline engagment... I needed to know that for something else I am building as well. Well, I did some measuring and the 203 carrier is only about 7/8" deep. A 2wd 700R4 outputshaft sticks out about 7" from the flat part of the case and almost 5" of this is splinned. I think if I cut carefully I can come pretty close to having 3/4" to 7/8" spline engagement. I guess Ill go for it, if it works I'll let you guys know. If it doesnt, look for me on the side of the road somewhere. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif