Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crane truck-power cam

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sjeccles, Jun 5, 2003.

1. sjeccles

sjeccles Registered Member

Anybody running a Crane truck power cam in thier TBI truck?? I'm looking for a cam to replace the edelbrock preformer cam in my 90 K5. I had one in my 88 and was pleased with it so I put one in my 90 and haven't been real impressed. I currently have the engine out of the truck so it's a good time to make a change.I do alot of highway driving and some light towing
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Avoid the 114112. I guess they're supposed to have a problem with hunting for an idle speed. Thats what Crane tells us anyways. So at work we advise against them on a TBI application.

3. sjeccles

sjeccles Registered Member

Blazer Boy-- Do you have any feedback about Comp cams 12-388-4 ?????(page 10) I don't think the lifters come with it. Do you know which ones are needed
    Thanks

4. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

LOL! You've even got it down the page, cool! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I am Comp biased it seems. There's no real good reason to be I guess because they're both excellent companies. The comp catalog is prettier if you must really know. That cam is described as "Great in stock throttle body, Crossfire or carbureted engine and 305 TPI". I ran that on Engine Analyzer and it ran about....

Dead stock engine, in vehicle with full accessories runs...

234hp@4,300RPM
    318lb/ft@2,900RPM

Add headers and a 700cfm exhaust system...
    284hp@4,400rpm
    348lb/ft@3,100rpm

and to really make it interesting, add on 670 TB and vortecs along with GM's intake...

329hp@5,000rpm
    375/b/ft@3,800rpm

These figures are not gospel by anymeans and it was figured under dyno conditions (60 degrees, 1,000ft, etc). I also figured them with all accessories installed up front. This would by flywheel HP also.

The only catch is that you have to buy lifters and matching valve springs. If you wanna cheat a little, the Speed-Pro stuff we sell runs alot less and is quality merchandise. I would not be surprised if the those are the same lifters as Comp uses. I think you could buy that in our cam kit, which is cam, lifters, and timing set. Sorry for the sales pitch, but you kinda get in the habit after a while. Hell, call between 1-5pm M-F and just ask for John /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif