Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crank case breather inside cab.. idea

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Mar 1, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I hope yall don't get tired of me running every single idea by yall, I just love to know if anyone else has done it, or if anybody can see problems with my idea.. I have the old metal breather hose that clamps into the passenger side valve cover. That hose ran into the stock air cleaner with a little retangualr foam element. I had to raise my whole air cleaner with a spacer, so that hose doesn't fit in the stock air cleaner unit anymore.

What I want to do is slide a rubber hose (perhaps an old heater hose) over this:
    [​IMG]

and run it into the cab, and buy one of these:
    [​IMG]

and slide it over that hose somewhere under my dash, so the engine would get its venelation, but not inside the engine compartment, so I will have more peace of mind about this:
    [​IMG]

This seem like a decent idea?
    thanks,
    James

2. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

seems to me like you might want to clean off that motor before you worry about any breathers.

3. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

why not just install a longer hose to reach the air cleaner?

or some inner fenders?

4. 78Suburban

I do have inner fenders. I have since cleaned off my motor. That is a good idea, maybe I should extend that hose to reach the factory air cleaner, but It might be a bit more protected from mud if I go ahead and run it behind the firewall.. and I was really looking foward to cutting a hole in the firewall :laugh: My main concern is, it won't mess up how the engine breathes will it? adding a long (2 foot) piece of hose over the breather won't throw off the amount of air/ pressure, and mess up the engine will it?
    thanks,
    James

5. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

i doubt that it would have an adverse effect on the engine.

i would hook the breather to the air cleaner and then run the air cleaner into the cab. just crack the windows.

6. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

im an idiot, so im editing this post *wink*

7. 78Suburban

So you're saying, run it into the stock cleaner, then run a big piece of hose from the stock air cleaner into the cab? hmm... that seems like a pretty dang good idea... it might not accomplish quite what moving the whole air intake into the cab would, but would probably be pretty dang close.. I just may do this.. I just don't want to starve my engine for air... I'm sure I'll figure out something.. thanks for the idea.:wink1:
    James

8. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

If i'm not wrong, that hose is part of the PCV system. Its purpose it to vent engine gasses into the air intake so they can be burned through combustion. If you vent it into the cab, it won't fulfill its purpose, and may vent engine gasses into the cab with you.

9. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You're right about it being a part of the PVC system, but you've got it mixed around backwards -- That hose is the fresh air intake. If he fills that up with sandy water, he fills his engine pan with sandy water, lol

I see no reason why not to just use the stock one and run a new heater hose from the elbow up to your stock air cleaner.

Should really put something on the end of that air cleaner too, she'll be suckin mud in there pretty good :P

10. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

Don't put it into the cab... If your motor has any blow by it will stink at best... IMHO run it to the aircleaner with a longer hose. If your worried about getting muddy water out of your air cleaner you have bigger problems, your intake needs to get CLEAN air.

11. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Don't know what direction you are going with truck. If its going to be a mudder, cut a hole in the hood and run a snorkel. If its a DD, I would turn the air cleaner pointing backwards, cut down the snout, cut a hole in the fiorewall to draw air from the cowl vents, like NASCAR does. You could put one of those small square filter elements like the newer cars use at the cowl end to filter out mud and water. Just my two bits.

12. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

the snorkel has my vote.