Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

crank endplay question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by generalleeloaded, Jul 20, 2004.

1. generalleeloaded

generalleeloaded Registered Member

Oct 8, 2002
    During tracking down and fixing leaks i found that the end play in my crank shaft is way out of tolerance(from manual). Probably about .045 to .085.
    Here my question:
    What is the likly hood of complete engine failure with it's endplay condition? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif (other components are in satisfactory condition)
    1) yeah it bound to happen. (obvious answer)
    2) gonna last at least another couple hundred miles.
    3) gonna last at least another couple thousand miles.

I'm just wanting to know if there's a possibility to get the thousand or more miles out of it. ( the crank)
    Don't want to waste any more time or money.

To bring back to running:
    new timing gears and chain
    Assembly and tune up.
    quit and get the $100+ back in parts

The motor is overall is tired!
    Don't want to part with this hunk of [darn] truck for some reason but i think it's time.
    A little side note:
    told the old lady it was dead and she couldn't be more happy!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
  2. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Mar 10, 2002
    Dude, things wear and get sloppy, while thats quite a bit, I say run it, i bet it will last way longer then you think.
  3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Dec 14, 2001
    With that much endplay it is not going to last much longer. The next thing that will happen is the crank counter weights are going to start hitting the block and then its over. It may even bind up a rod pretty good since there isn't much room for movement of the rod in the forward/rearward position between the inside of the piston bosses. Also forward movement means the fan belts are going to start not lining up and may start throwing belts on you. The timing chain is not meant to be binding as it will with the extra thrust clearance. I could go on for a while but I think you get the idea.
  4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Jul 24, 2003
    A friends 63 T-bird 390 motor had nearly a half inch of end play--it had developed a weird knock and the oil light would flicker while cornering--while investigating under the hood I noticed the harmonic balancer moving in and out--I think the fan belts were helping to hold it steady--I didnt beleive it when I saw it /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif--he said he wasnt keen on fixing it,so he just kept driving it--he put about 3000 miles on it after that,it didnt seem any worse,some guy saw it and bought it off him to restore,and he planned a new engine for it,but he drove it a few more months to work that way!.But dont expect yours to last very long in this condition--the T-bird must have been haunted or something,every other motor I've seen with lots of endplay usually doesnt run very long that way. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif