Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crank trigger ignitions - Good or bad?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PJTPW, Jul 21, 2005.

1. PJTPW

PJTPW 1/2 ton status

I'm considering running a crank trigger ignition to get a super low profile distributor.

Thoughts on running this set up? Good, bad?

Any durability issues or anything else to look out for on a dedicated wheeler.

Thanks,

Ryan

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Accuracy of one is a big plus, however I doubt the reluctor wheel will be too happy getting all muddy. I know on the LS based motors they have theirs inside the block, so there is no issue, aftermarket Gen I crank triggers mount to the balancer as far as I know.

3. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

There not designed for ORV's, drag race only...
    the magnetic p/u and reluctor wheel are very susceptible to debri and do not fit well with a rocky, dirty, dusty, wet and nasty environment.

4. PJTPW

PJTPW 1/2 ton status

What about a flying magnet crank trigger like this from MSD?

http://www.msdignition.com/mag_1.htm

Seems more tolerant of debris. Mud is really not a concern, there's not much here and I generally avoid it now.

Ryan

5. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

that's youre basic crank trigger, carry a spare p/u coil to get ya home when it leaves ya stranded on the trail.
    These people make crank triggers as well, but not one for a (censored).
    however you may be able to adapt the MSD crank trigger with the electramotive coil packs and eliminate the distributor altogether.

http://www.electromotive-inc.com/index.html

BTW, that's a nice ride ya got there.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

See thats the only reason I'd convert to crank trigger, and I still wouldn't do it on a trail rig. I really want to build a high revving Gen I small block for my dad's Firebird, and I'd like to run crank trigger and distributorless.

7. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

I hear ya...i love screamers also, that's why i put 6.000" rods in my 383 stroker.

8. PJTPW

PJTPW 1/2 ton status

Dodge=censored? :crazy:

I've seen the light and am building a GM based buggy this time. :D

Thanks for all the input. Maybe I should just stick with a regular distributor.

Ryan

9. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

Overkill....

Crank triggers are the ultimate ignition systems because the plug is fired in relation to crankshaft position as compared to the gear on the back of the cam (except ford which has the dist. in the front).
    Conventional distributors must deal with the harmonics that are transmitted thru the crank gear, up the chain and then all the way to the back of cam where it is gear driven again.
    Spark scatter and inaccurate timing curves is a common occurence and disadvantage of the HEI chevy ignition.
    1 disadvantage to the crank fired ignition is locked-out timing but on a race car it does not matter when those motors rarely see rpm's below 3,000....
    timing computers are available today that allow a street driven vehicle to use a locked-out dist. and/or a crank fired ignition but it's overkill for all but the most radical street/strip machines.
    The low rpm's that a trail rig or rock crawler encounters does not require the accuracy and (headaches) of a CFI...........IMHO :bow: