Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

crankcase pressure

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fatboy, Jan 8, 2006.

1. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

hello all who reads this,

Here is a problem I have had for a while, Oil leaks, Ive had my 350 rebuilt about two years ago into a 383 and have oil leaks on it here and there. I have fix them all only to get ones in different places. Finnally oil is now squirting out the dipstick when over 3000rpms. To much Crankcase presure! Now how to vent it? I have 1 new pvc valve and one new valve cover breather> still leaks.

I had a performance shop build my short block but have always had some oil leaking. I guess I have a bad ring but am not sure what else could be the trouble.

I have a high volume oil pump with a 8 quart oil pan and an external oil cooler. I dont want to pull the heads and all without trying all the little tips and tricks you all have to offer. Any input will be helpfull.

2. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Got a boroscope?

3. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

nope> however what is it and about how much do they cost?

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

borescope is expensive... its a camera that shows you what you want to see. think TINY camera lense that is in many shapes notmaly about 1/8 inch around a long.. think 6 or more inches. some times flexible... COSTLY tool, but iff needed all the time worth it. has saved me from pulling a bunch of helo engines...

i dont have any input on your problem.. yeah i do. what kind of valve covers do you have? do they have an oil baffel on the back side of the breather anf PCV? maybe the baffel has foam in it and the foam is clogged, OR the breather and valve are pushed in too far.
    Grant

5. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

A boroscope is a small camera/video device (the expensive ones), but generally a lens attached to a flexable tube.

You use them for looking in passageways, vents, and other things without completely disassembling whatever you're looking at.

My suggestion was going to be, drain the oil then remove the valvecovers and oil pan. Check for clogged oil drainage passageways. There's a lot of things that can affect oil flow.

Edit: Check your oil filter passages too.

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

how many miles are on the motor? When my 350 was on its last legs, knockin, smokin, it was pukin oil out the dipstick. When I finally pulled it and tore it apart, most of the rings were in the pan. And it didnt need 3k to pump. 1500 was all it needed. I put a cheap valve cover breather on it, ran it for another 2 or 3k till I finally said the heck with it and pulled it.

7. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

Less then 20,000 on the engine, I put 2 pcv,s on to manifold vac. and it still pushes the dipstick out and pukes oil I guess it will be torn down soon

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

First off, if you have a PCV valve in one valve cover and a breather in the other your systme is not going to work properly. You must have a sealed system for it to work properly. You need a PCV valve in one valve cover and a breather hose from the other valve cover going up to the undersaid of the air cleaner assembly. This was you create a vacuum in the crankcase so that the blowby can get sucked out and reburnt. Also make sure you are using vacuum hose and not fuel hose as your PCV hose otherwise the hose can be sucking closed and/or deteriorating on the inside.