Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cranked The New Engine!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by det45, Feb 26, 2001.

1. det45

det45 1/2 ton status

Well I just got done installing my new GM GoodWrench 5.7 in my 89 K5 a couple of days ago and It runs great! I also converted the TBI to the Edelbrock Multi Port Fuel Injection and I must admit it works real well and is very smooth. I only have about 70 miles on the engine so I haven't been able to jump on it yet until I get at least 500 miles on the engine. I will tell you that the MPI fuel injection makes more torque with this new engine compaired to the old TBI system. This kit requires a higher pressure fuel pump for the MPI so instead of dropping the gas tank and replacing the pump I retained the original pump and added an (In-Line) 88 bronco high pressure pump just aft of the fuel filter. Just wanted to mention this in case someone wants an alternative should they decide to go with this kit without dropping their gas tank. The edelbrock MPI system runs at 40 psi fuel pressure. Well I'll let you all know how this system pans out as I put the miles on it. Feel free to ask me any questions about this kit and the installation process.....Det45

One Fine 89.....

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Yee Haw! New engines are always fun. I was happier than a pig in $hit when I got my carb overhauled and a new ditributor. If I had the bucks I'd get that fuel injection too but I'm gonna get a new bed and tailgate.

Two lanes wide, twelve yards long, sixty-five tons of American pride....Canyanero!

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I have been checking out the edelbrock conversion... wondering if the milage gains and power gains are worth a grand??? So keep us posted... also does edel just give you a chip for the computer or do they actually design one up? I also wonder the capacities of the sytem... because probably wouldn't do it till I swap in a 377 or 383 and would probably want a little exstra go-go juice from the injectors compared to a 350.

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

4. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

So how much was the bronco pump? I'm assuming you didn't buy the Edelbrock MPFI as a whole kit. How much did you spend on everything?

<font color=blue>//////
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://blazer79.coloradok5.com>http://blazer79.coloradok5.com</A>
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

5. det45

det45 1/2 ton status

I paid $812.00 for the kit which included an internal high pressure (In Tank) fuel pump. I decided to go with an (In-Line) external pump made for the full size 88 bronco so I wouldn't have to drop my gas tank. Works great. The external pump cost $75.00 So far total investment for this kit, pump, and other hardware was right at 1K. As far as the computer chip is concerned, edeldrock includes an info card with the kit for you to fill out containing info for your particular vehicle. Once you fill out the card, you send it back to edelbrock and they will make a custom chip at no charge and send it to you by two day UPS. I have about two hundred miles on my new engine with this kit and it seems to be making more power as I'm adding the miles. The engine is starting to break-In so it's starting to run better. I can tell you that this kit does make more torque with the MPI and idles smoother. Also I must mention that the Service Engine Soon Light came on today but I think it's the throttle positioning sensor, this happened with the old engine so I'm sure it has nothing to do with the Edelbrock MPI kit. Hopefully I will have 1000 miles on the engine by the end of march so I'll let you all know how things work out if you want me too......Det45

One Fine 89.....

6. det45

det45 1/2 ton status

I paid $812.00 for the kit which included an internal high pressure (In Tank) fuel pump. I decided to go with an (In-Line) external pump made for the full size 88 bronco so I wouldn't have to drop my gas tank. Works great! The external pump cost $75.00 So far total investment for this kit, pump, and other hardware was right at 1K. As far as the computer chip is concerned, edeldrock includes an info card with the kit for you to fill out containing info for your particular vehicle. Once you fill out the card, you send it back to edelbrock and they will make a custom chip at no charge and send it to you by two day UPS. I have about two hundred miles on my new engine with this kit and it seems to be making more power as I'm adding the miles. The engine is starting to break-In so it's starting to run better. I can tell you that this kit does make more torque with the MPI and idles smoother. Also I must mention that the Service Engine Soon Light came on today but I think it's the throttle positioning sensor, this happened with the old engine so I'm sure it has nothing to do with the Edelbrock MPI kit. Hopefully I will have 1000 miles on the engine by the end of march so I'll let you all know how things work out if you want me too......Det45

One Fine 89.....

7. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

Det,
    Been a while that I heard from you. That engine must of took up all your time, but it's all worth it ain't it. When are you taking that K-5 out 4 wheeling? We're planning a run in March if your interested. Just let me know.

MY K-5 DOESN'T LEAK... IT JUST MARKS ITS TERRITORY.