Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cranking torsion bars

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 91Chevy2500, Sep 30, 2002.

1. 91Chevy2500

91Chevy2500 Newbie

Ok i am in need of info on how to crank my torsion bars on my truck so i don't have to pay a butt load of money to achive a small amount of lift and still be able to run 35s.

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Umm, you won't be cranking your bars enough to clear 35's with no lift. The most you should ever crank is about 1". After that you start getting CV wear due to the extreme angles. If you want to crank, theres a bolt on each side of the t-bar crossmember. Tighten the bolt to raise the truck, loosen to lower.

3. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

ok, so essentially you wish to KILL / MURDER your geometry and tires and alignment to achieve 1-1/2 inches? youll never even know it was done, dont or youll spend those tons of dollars on tires and preperation H /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

I could not agree more with the above posts, all you'll end up doing is wearing suspension and tires.Your suspension will be riding on the torsion bars alone and the truck will handle like a wet noodle on the road.I spend almost every day at work trying to talk someone out of doing this, we have done it for one customer in the past and within a week he was back in the shop begging to have the front end lowered again.

5. 91Chevy2500

91Chevy2500 Newbie

Well as of right now i have a 3in body lift and in the process of triming the finders so that i will only have to crank them at the most an inch.