Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

crap! crack in frame...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Dec 28, 2001.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I am putting my ORD Brace on right now...and guess what I find? there is a hairline crack in my frame parallel to the pitman arm when pointing staright ahead. It isn't on the middle part of the frame, just the bottom one, and it doesn't go all the way through. I'll have to go to a friend's house and weld it up today I guess. Doesn't seem major enough to need a frame repair kit...any opinions?

90K5

2. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Make sure you go over the whole area with a "fine tooth comb"!! I had a small hairline crack, had it welded, and then had a big one crack through (and this was AFTER I had the ORD brace on for a couple of years)...now I have the brace as well as the weld in repair kit...but if you only find that one small crack, and weld it up good, you should be ok, but keep an eye on that area!

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I'd get the weld in kit regardless of how small that crack is now. Get it done once and forget about it (hopefully anyway).

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Well, I went to a local muffler shop, and got the crack welded up, and have the brace installed. It made a pretty good difference in how the steering feels, and ithe front end feels a lot tighter, especially over bumps. I'm kinda concerned about the welding though...not knowing much about welding, but wouldn't you use differnt wire for welding up mufflers than frames? If so, I'll probably get it redone somewhere else, and get the frame repair kit...anyone?

90K5

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Same welding process...no need to worry. Most muffler guys are actually very good welders.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Allright thanks

90K5