Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

crash and die (almost)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by amm888, Jul 28, 2002.

1. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

i was driving my new '76 blazer on the freeway today and had to brake hard - as soon as i hit the brake the truck pulled to one side and i over-pulled it back and then back again...after visiting both adjecent lanes i managed to regain control.

what happened? i've got quite a bit of play in my steering that i'm planning on fixing (now sooner than later) - does that sound like the culprit? or might it be something else?

2. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Do a brake job as well! I've been in a situation like that before and what throws your truck to one side is the brakes grabing on side more than the other, the slack in the steering makes it harder for you to regain control after that happens! Just turn the rotors and put new pads in and bleed the brakes real well! You will notice this on the truck if you go down the road and let go of the steering wheel, apply the brakes and the truck pulls to one side! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Pay attention to the caliper bolts and bushings too. Sometimes they get corroded and the caliper won't slide on them as designed. New calipers are not that expensive so you may as well just replace them...

A bad rear brake can also cause the pulling under braking, especially when an axle seal or a wheel cylinder starts leaking.

Rene

4. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Good point Rusty! I really didn't think about the rear! A complete brake job on the whole truck is always the best way to go, only you can secide what is and isn't servicable by being there! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Calipers are less than $20 for each and caliper bolts are about $3 apiece at Autozone or Napa ot where ever you buy parts. They're worth the effort.

6. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

thanks for the help guys!

7. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Well, glad you lived!

So, you have your first project! Interesting that it didn't pull at all when we were doing 30-40, but then again, maybe I didn't brake as hard.

At least you'll know your brakes are perfect when you're done! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

i was going 60-70 (according to the speedometer which is WAY low)....

9. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

You must have had to stomp on those brakes. Scary when it plows over multiple lanes.

With 35's mine was going 7-8% faster than the speedo showed. I would expect yours is the same.

Now that I changed out the stock gears (3.08) to 4.10's my speedo is like 30MPH higher than I'm going at 65.

I'm probably going to take mine to North Hollywood Speedometer and have it recalibrated. I think you can do it yourself, but I don't wanna! Other things to do...

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Early K5's have a weird limiting plate bolted to the frame on the driver's side to prevent the front shackle from compressing too far back. When you start messing around with lifts and soft springs, you'll hit this plate ALL the time.

I had some VERY scary stops until I figured this out. The truck would pull HARD to the right because of it. I removed the plate and the problem was solved. You could see the shiny metal where the spring had been pounding against it too......

This idea may not apply to your '76, but it's good advice for the '69 - '72 guys, and maybe more.

11. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

i just checked for the limiting plate...i don't see anything different on the driver's/passenger sides, but i'm not sure if i'm looking for the right thing...can you pin-point it a bit for me?

12. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

If it's there it would be within about 1/2" inch of the rear spring eye, bolted to the frame on the drivers side....it bolts to the flat "underneath" surface of the frame if that makes sense....?

13. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

i just got this truck about a week ago and i'm very limited on the lingo...we're talking about the front tire leaf springs, and the back end (rear spring eye) of the driver's side springs...? if that's it, i don't think i have that limiter, although your symptoms sound just like mine.

14. joker89blazer

joker89blazer 1/2 ton status

If you have any loose play in the steering, anything that makes an unequal load on a tire can couse the steering to make a sudden change.Just a small amount of wear in the steering can make another problem worse.My truck would want to "change lanes" also when hitting brakes hard or standing water on road.I had to replace my front and rear drag links to fix mine.Gotta look somewhere first, if you know you have steering play, it might be a starting point.Hope this helps.