Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crate 350 Horse Power

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76chevy, Nov 29, 2000.

1. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

Is the crate motor on the site http://www.paceparts.com really a 250 hp motor as they advertise? If so how much do you think you can get out of it with a performace intake?

Thanks

<font color=red>Spirit of 76</font color=red>

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Changing just the intake won't make enough difference that you would notice. To really get it breathing and making power you'd need to change the cam. Better flowing heads and a set of good headers will help even more. But now we're talking about spending enough to buy a more powerful engine to begin with. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

3. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

A couple of years ago some magazine bought one of these engines to find out just what you are asking and they found that it made around 235hp in stock form. They started doing some bolt-on upgrades to it and with a set of headers, intake and carb, it made 265 hp. I can vouch for that too, as I have the EXACT same combination. They kept on bolting stuff on and after they had about 1500 more into it, with new heads, a cam, ignition, and roller-tip rockers it made 410hp, with the same, (Read: STOCK), shortblock. Plus if you can keep from screwing with it for three years, you'll have a nationwide warranty to boot. After you finally blow it up, you can stroke it and still use all of the stuff you already had in it. I say it's totally worth the 1300.00. I am very pleased with the performance of mine. It's not a tire burner, but neither is my truck.

HTH,

buddu

I've got my dream truck and it's a 72 K-5 that is getting there!!

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

There were some recent tests some where and they bolted on stock parts froma various years to see what gains and loses thay had. They found that yes the engine does produce an honest 250hp with base emmisions(PCV, Cats, stock exhaust, Evap and EGR. If you live in a Emmisions area that is strick and you have to run an air pump they found they lost some HP from drag on the pump. Now HP sounds all great and crap but it's a truck not a drag car and what gets it moving is torq not HP...HP comes in top end. You could have a 1000hp at redline but till you get some torq on the bottom end it won't get moving very fast. Your pushing 6,000 lb truck with worse air dynamics that a ranch house. Look for Torq comming on low and staying nice and flat. Thats what pins you to the seat. Thats what makes a good 4x4 engine. I have a bone stock crate and I am very happy with it in stock form. It pulls great for normal driving and feels like a hot rod compaired the engine that it replaced. I'm getting close to 13mpg out of it with 79 emmisions and stock everything with 10deg advance. I may put a RV/ Towing cam in it but I doubt I will do much more. The drivability is so good now I'm more worried that I would lose some of it if I mess with it.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

5. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the answers. I was asking because I had previously seen an engine for the same price that advertised 190 hp.

Sounds like a great engine for the price. I don't want to change the cam or anything because I don't want to mess up the warranty, but putting an new intake, Jacobs mileage master kit or something else and headers on it would be fine.

Grim, you are correct in your hp vs torque statement. I totaly agree. Have you heard any torque numbers on this engine? This probably won't be a hard core rock crawler or heavy duty tower, but the more torque the better.

I doubt I will ever be able to spin the tires with a full time 203 upfront. Besides, that just wastes tread an at $150 a tire, I want to keep the tread as long as possible.

<font color=red>Spirit of 76</font color=red>