Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crate Engine Oil Pressure

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cavalry, Oct 29, 2000.

1. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    I have a new 350 HO. My oil presssure is way out there on pluto. Got the factory gauge (60 psi) just about pinned at idle and pins with high RPM's. The gauge/ sender is 100% new and was accurate in my old engine (35-40 psi idle) I really dont feel like screwing around putting a mech gauge on to check it, just wanted to know if other crate users had simmilar readings. Luke

2. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

yes most new engines have very high oil press.. this may or may not go down in time. all that high oil pres means is that the pump is very strong or the bearing clearances are very tight ..also depends on if you are using a heavy oil also... don't however use a 50 weight oil or something like it or you could just be buying another motor.!!

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT

3. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>My GM crate motor (sb350/ 300 hp), had normal oil pressure, about 45-50 at idle cold, and about 25 at idle 50 at cruising speed. I would hook up a mechanical guage and check it out. If it is too high you might be buying another motor, or at least installing another one. - Steve</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

4. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

I get between 35-45 at idle, and an easy 60+ at cruise speeds. And I'm using an auto meter mechanical gauge. So yours doesn't sound out of range.

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The oil is very imprtant on these new engines. They were designed to run 10w30 year round. If youy put a 20w50 in it it would be high pressure. My crate with 10w30 and about 20k idles with about 20 psi and cruise with about 55 psi when hot.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/