Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crate Engine Questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mattman, Aug 6, 2001.

1. mattman

mattman 1/2 ton status

I need a new engine for my '90. I was looking at the Goodwrench long blocks - either the TBI or Vortec long block. I found out that all of GM's crate engines except the LS1 and new big blocks, which are made in Canada, are all made in Mexico. Does this mean these are the infamous Mexican engines I hear nothing but bad about? And for that matter, where was the original TBI in my '90 made - in the US or in Mexico? Just curious. I don't want to spend all that money for a long block only to find out I was better off to rebuild my current engine.

90 GMC Jimmy, 350 TBI, 700R4, 32's
    84 Bronco II 204,000 miles and counting...........that's 207,000 and counting now

2. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    My GM350 HO was assembled in Michigan...i think the block was cast in Mexico. I have heard no bad things about these "Hecho en Mexico" blocks

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

All the assembly is done in Michigan, with the blocks/foundry work Hecho en Mexico (Mostly by displaced Detroit workers). Nothing to fear - the infamous Mexican motors we've heard so many horror stories about are strictly in stockers.

Friggin Silt![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>