Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crate engine selection for 71

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Madbomber88, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Madbomber88

Madbomber88 1/2 ton status

Did a aqick search and didn't find anything specifically for first generation. I got my tax refund and it has "new crate engine" marked all over it. I'm looking at the crate engines from chevy, specifically the 383, the ZZ4 350, and the HO 350. These would all be mated to a SM 465. I don't plan on doing too much offroading, and it will mainly be highway/back road driving. As always looking for the best combo of smooth power delivery and reliability.
    Any suggestions or experience with any of these?
    Appreciate any help.

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

ZZ4 should be alot of fun! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

3. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

theres a guy on ebay that sells 383s for really cheap. Something like 420 HP. Hes based out of Phinix and the engines have a 12 month 12000 mile warenty. Just do a search for 383.

nick

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Before I started my 454 build I was eyeballing the RamJet350. I also like the 350 that is the step above the 1200 doller one, I think it was 2500 for the long block and HP was somewere around 350 + or - ?
    But I ended up with a complete 454 fer 175 bucks so I am doing a FI454 now. The cool thing about moving to BBC is you can just do a real mild buildup on them and get GREAT power and reliabilty. You start pumpin thoes 350s up to get the higer numbers, to me, that brings the reliability down. Agin just my opinion or .02c /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    Good Luck

5. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

I would go with the 383 GMP. If you're a reader of Chevy Hi-Performance there are some good articles on it's performance out-of-the-box as well as a few things they did to get more power (namely a little bigger cam). You might be able to get the highlights on their website.

6. jasonkh2tg

jasonkh2tg 1/2 ton status

If I were you I would go with a ZZ4 short block and go with a set of heads of your selection vortec ,462 fullie what ever you wanted then you could also select a cam that would fit your application....also If you go the short block route you won't be buying a flex plate and a long water pump..because your going to need a flywheel and a short pump... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif aslo Ive wondered how much HP and TQ you could get out of a GM goodwrench 350 with a healthy cam..

7. gypsychology

gypsychology Guest

U nick,

The guy in Phoenix selling crate engines is a FRAUD! His engines look GREAT and do not run. There are several websites devoted to nothing but exposing this guy. The name of his shop is Mark's Performance Shop. STAY AWAY

8. rrent

rrent 1/2 ton status

Greetings -- I checked my compression last weekend --- it was all over the place -- from 95 in one cyl. to 210 in another --- OUCH /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'm going to drop in of these old school 4 bolt main 350s -- they look like the old truck motor we all sought out for rebuilds back in the 80s. I'll probably drive it for a few thousand miles and then, depending on performance, void its warranty with a new cam........

GM 350